Default Difficulty Getting EDD Disability Benefits in California

My question involves insurance law for the state of: California

would like to know why the system treats the people who have paid into it their whole lives, so badly? I have cancer, I applied for disability on 9/25/17. It was 2 months before I was denied. The letter said I was being paid full wages while on leave, and if this was not correct to call immediately. So, I tried, and tried and tried again but could not get through. Only a recorded message that the maximum number of calls has been reached, try later. This went on for days, usually starting at 7:00 a.m.

It was only After writing the Governor’s office that I finally heard from EDD. I was told the form verifying my pay was never sent in by my employer and this is why I was denied. This would mean my employer was breaking the law by not responding in 2 days. It is also an admission by the EDD that my denial was based on fabricated information. If they never heard from my employer why does the denial say I am receiving full pay while on leave? I know the EDD has no problem finding out wage information, just ask anyone who has ever collected unemployment. They said another form would be sent, my company, now watching for it, said they are still waiting.

A coworker who suffered a heart attack had none of these issues getting disability. This leads me to believe the actions of my employer was not the reason I was denied.
    I cannot pay for Doctors visits meaning I have not been getting treatment, this means my return date will not be Dec. 4th as originally stated on the physician’s form, thanks to the EDD. Of course, I don't have the form for my doctor to fill out necessary to continue my claim. I can’t order it anywhere on the website, I looked. I believe my employer when they say they were never contacted because of the false statement made by EDD about being paid. I appealed the decision 2 weeks ago but have heard nothing.

No one should have to go through this while trying to fight cancer

Default Re: Difficulty Getting EDD Disability Benefits in California

It sounds like somebody made a bureaucratic mistake, and that they've now contacted your employer requesting the information they require with the goal of making a proper determination of your case.

Why do mistakes happen? Because humans are involved in everything, and nobody's perfect. Why you? Alas, that's a question most of us find ourselves asking at one time or another.

I wish that were true, my employer is still waiting for the form, even tried to call but it is impossible to get a live person and their website is a continuous loop of useless information. Thanks anyway.

Quote Quoting DinahCancer
    View Post
    I cannot pay for Doctors visits
    Just what is your employment/health insurance status? I'm assuming you're not getting paid and why you want disability, but is your employer still providing health insurance? Is it the copays or the 20% of an 80/20 plan you can't pay, or are you uninsured?

If you have no insurance, and aren't getting paid a wage, and are single or have a low income spouse, you need to apply for Medi-Cal. The income requirements are based on what you're earning right this second, not that you might have averaged $50K+ for the whole year. Because you're not working, and not getting disability, I think you have no income, and should be getting SNAP, and Medi-Cal, and take care of yourself.

Thanks for the tips I will look into both programs as I will probably need them soon. I am currently on leave from work without pay. I have to pay my own health insurance, $412 per month. I borrowed from a relative last month to keep it going. I had an HSA I used to pay for office visits but that was used up. I can't pay for office visits, they vary in amounts from around $30 to over $300.
    My appeal went to the board for review, its been a week still waiting to hear from them. I sent my employer a copy of the letter stating this, they are going to try to talk to someone at the appeals board. No one can ever get through calling EDD. So frustrating! That EDD can just make up a reason to deny people. If it was an unemployment insurance claim EDD would know to the penny what, if anything I was paid and when.

The two programs do not share information. The unemployment system collects employer taxes on every employee of every covered employer in the state. However, when you file for disability benefits they do not contact the unemployment system if they are having difficulty or are not getting the required information to complete your application. And it is not personal, assuredly they have dropped the ball, but the responsibility is ALWAYS on the applicant to make sure that if they do not have a response within a reasonable amount of time, they have followed up. Because mistakes do happen, paperwork is missed, social security numbers are misread, and no one is aware of it or consciously trying to screw you up personally. But YOU are vitally aware of it, and it is after all up to you to keep trying until you resolve the problem or receive answers. Hopefully it will be resolved soon and perhaps there will be backpay involved since you did file timely and you did qualify at the time of your application.

They are both California EDD and they share the same website, I could only assume they share the same data base. I have become very creative in ways to get through to these people, one thing for sure its not the phone, I only get a recording that the maximum number of calls has been reached, try later, no mater what time of day I call. I received a letter that my appeal was forwarded to the board but I am still waiting to hear. My idea of timely is different from theirs I guess. Thank you for your response.

1. Sponsored Links