Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will the Military Learn About Your Expunged Criminal Record

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Minnesota. At 11 I was charged with 5th degree sexual misconduct, then I plead guilty and was dismissed on conditions of probation and treatment, and upon completion of treatment I would have my record expunged. I completed treatment at 16 and have had my record expunged. I am planning on joining AFROTC next fall. Will the military find record of my charges? Should I be worried about this? Do I disclose this information when they ask?

Default Re: Will the Military Learn About Your Expunged Criminal Record

When enlisting in the military you are legally required to disclose your entire criminal history, including your adult record and juvenile record, and including any charges that have been sealed or expunged. If you lie, you will be committing a crime.

I believe you are making that statement under penalty of perjury. But even if you aren't and they find out about it later on (and they will) you will likely receive a less than honorable or dishonorable discharge. The latter being equal to a felony.

What are we talking here? Public masturbation or indecent exposure. Disclose it. One from when you are 11 isn't going to mean anything. An indication that you are lying about your background will hurt you more (especially in MOS where a clearance is involved).

Alright. I asked a bunch of people in ROTC and some said don't tell, some said do. My plan is to disclose it but some said they didn't think I had to. That's good to know. It was just called sexual misconduct, 5th degree. My cousin and I (she was younger) were found naked together and her mother was divorcing my uncle and she took the moment to charge me. Thank you for your help.

So you think I will be fine? I apologize. AFROTC has always been my plan, I was worried I wouldn't ever get through if I had this on my record.

Some people might tell you to commit a felony by lying, but I doubt that any of those people are worth the time it takes to hear their misguided instruction.

Why in the world would you listen to a bunch of college students about this? And yes I think you will be fine if you don't lie.

Mainly because they are in the program I am joining, and they are pretty smart people, not just college students. Thank you for your help.

It sounds as if some of them are smart. Those are the ones that told you to disclose the information. The others not so much.

Do you think I will have to get my charges waived? Or what?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast