Default Yes, This is Book Research

Yes, I have done my initial research.

The state is Maine.

Ed owns a piece of land, on which he lives. George owns the land beyond Ed's. George's land is completely undeveloped. George's land can only be reached by crossing Ed's. Repeat, George's land is completely undeveloped. He does not live on the land in question. Ed does live on his land.

Prior to George taking ownership, Ed had always permitted people to cross his land to reach the undeveloped area. (It's a favorite make-out spot overlooking the water.)

Let us suppose that Ed has permitted this for the 20 years required for an easement to be established. Ed dies and in his will, leaves his land to Jesse. Can Jesse put up No Trespassing signs and block any further access?

Now, same question, but with Ed only having permitted the access for 15 years.

Nobody?

I just want to be sure I'm clear on what easements do and do not permit when property changes hands.

Default Re: Yes, This is Book Research

I have no idea .. but I did watch something on ID a few months ago that seemed to be similar, except one guy shot dead the other guy and the other guy's wife. Over boulders, I believe.

(!)

Default Re: Yes, This is Book Research

If it helps any, Jesse is the good guy here. He's a conservationist. He wants to buy the undeveloped land from George and create a park and a conservation area and a community garden. George wants to build a housing development. Big fancy houses of course.

It's also hinted that George may have killed Ed (someone did) thinking that Charlie would inherit Ed's land, and then George and Charlie would build that fancy development together.

Any help here?

1. Sponsored Links