Default What Happens if You're Caught Driving Without a License or Insurance

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA

I was wondering, with all this back and 4th over sanctuary cities.

I was curious, if an undocumented driver is speeding on a local road in SF or other sancuatary city, and is pulled over for speeding, is undocumented, has no license, no insurance, no real permanent address, what happens?

Do they still get a ticket? is the car impounded? Are they let go?

And same senario, except the speeding is done on a highway like interstate 880 or 680. Any difference?

Default Re: In Ca, What Happens to Undocumented Driver if He/She Receives a Speeding Ticket

It depends on the officer. Most of the time if you are able to produce some sort of satisfactory ID you are given a citation for 12500(a) VC. Your car will likely be impounded for 22651(p) VC or 14602.6 VC, absent any community caretaking or licensed driver being available.

If you can't produce any I'D and the officer can't locate your name given to him you are likely going to jail so you can be finger printed and photographed. Then you are usually given a court date for your citation.

If you are an undocumented alien you should go and get a California Driver license. Make an appointment at the DMV (usually Saturdays) and take your ID documents there. If you can pass the tests you will be given a license (refer to CA DMV website for specifics).

Just to be clear, you cannot pick and choose which city you are arrested in. Odds are one can't solely reside and stay completely in the confines of a sanctuary city. Even then, immigration is a Federal issue and most of the officers that will pull you over deal onpy with State of CA crimes.
    I'm a cop. My opinion does not reflect the views or opinion of my agency. That being said, "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

1. Sponsored Links