Default University Would Not Provide ADA Accommodation After Surgery

My question involves civil rights in the State of: to,
    Had surgery on my arm one semester and the teacher refused to reschedule my test. Turned in my surgery paper work with dates on it, plus they later accomadated my arm surgery which also has dates on it. My last semester I had false allegations brought against me, if I sued them or the teacher could they Ungraduate me?

Default Re: ADA Claim Against My Old University

What are you considering suing for?

Default Re: University Would Not Provide ADA Accommodation After Surgery

Quote Quoting D-town
    View Post
    Had surgery on my arm one semester and the teacher refused to reschedule my test.... they later accomadated my arm surgery
    Okay, so there was an initial denial of accommodation by a teacher, but when you went to administration you were accommodated. It's not clear that having to take your test was unreasonable under the circumstances, affected your grade or, if it did, whether you addressed the issue when you were later accommodated. If you chose not to raise the issue when seeking further accommodation, you should consider it to be a done deal.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    My last semester I had false allegations brought against me
    How is that even slightly related to your surgery or accommodation?
    Quote Quoting D-town
    if I sued them or the teacher could they Ungraduate me?
    If you sued the University for accommodating you after your surgery? They won't revoke your diploma, but obviously you would be wasting your money -- you were accommodated and you have a degree.

And from your description it's not clear at best whether they were legally required to accommodate you in the first place. Generally, short term situations such as recovering from surgery do not qualify under the ADA.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    And from your description it's not clear at best whether they were legally required to accommodate you in the first place. Generally, short term situations such as recovering from surgery do not qualify under the ADA.
    And as a technical point, this is not an ADA issue at all. A disabled student at a college or university receiving federal funds is protected from discrimination based on his/her disability by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. This Act provides protection similar to the ADA; indeed the ADA was modeled on the Rehabilitation Act. But they are not exactly the same.

Good point - despite the fact that I work for a university, since I work with employees instead of students I always forget that.

1. Sponsored Links