Default Driving with License Plates Knowing They Were Registered to Another Vehicle

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Virginia.
    I was pulled over on a military base caught driving with expired license plates. It was then discovered that the plates were registered to another vehicle. During the stop, I admitted that I knew they were fraudulent and that's included in my ticket. It is a class 2 misdemeanor in the state of Virginia (I may be wrong). What is the possibility I will see jail time and what can I do to prevent it? I have a speeding ticket from February (12 over) and I paid it off, no problems, but other than that I have a clean record.
    Any advice would help, thank you.

Default Re: Driving with License Plates Knowing They Were Registered to Another Vehicle

You were stopped on a military base. Were you charged with the federal offense (something like 36 CFR ...) or the Virginia one (46-2.nnnN). If so, what specific number. Are we talking about 46-2.613?

It's possible you will get jail time. Your case will be heard in front of a GDC judge and some have gotten more common at throwing a few days of jail time at violators. Unless the commonwealth is going to waive jail time, I'd recommend an attorney.

Default Re: Driving with License Plates Knowing They Were Registered to Another Vehicle

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You were stopped on a military base. Were you charged with the federal offense (something like 36 CFR ...) or the Virginia one (46-2.nnnN). If so, what specific number. Are we talking about 46-2.613?

It's possible you will get jail time. Your case will be heard in front of a GDC judge and some have gotten more common at throwing a few days of jail time at violators. Unless the commonwealth is going to waive jail time, I'd recommend an attorney.

Yes, - 46-2.613, that is written on my ticket. I've also been advised to take a defensive driving class to bring to the hearing hoping that it'll help. I was pulled over on a military base but my case will be heard at the courthouse of the county.

Advised by whom?

You need to speak with an attorney familiar with the particular judge you will be up against to determine what your best strategy is. Some will be swayed by VADIP, in other cases it's a waste of time and money. Some will want it taken in a particular manner.

1. Sponsored Links