Default How Long Does Child Support Continue for a Developmentally Disabled Child

My question involves a child custody case from the State of:OH
    I am non-custodial parent and my ex wanted to renew child support order for life time. Custodial parent lives in CA. My son turns 18 years in few months and he has moderate to severe autism disorder. He is expected to complete his graduation on his 19th birthday. He initially qualified for special education services under the primary disability category of Autism. No health related issues. He is not qualified for IEP. How long child support order continues? I proposed in our mediation to review the order after 5 years and leave option with court to modify or terminate after 5 years based on child needs. She didn't agree to it. Should I continue to pay till i die?

Default Re: Child Support Past 18 Years

Quote Quoting eruzin
    View Post
    I am non-custodial parent and my ex wanted to renew child support order for life time. Custodial parent lives in CA. My son turns 18 years in few months and he has moderate to severe autism disorder. He is expected to complete his graduation on his 19th birthday. He initially qualified for special education services under the primary disability category of Autism. No health related issues. He is not qualified for IEP. How long child support order continues? I proposed in our mediation to review the order after 5 years and leave option with court to modify or terminate after 5 years based on child needs. She didn't agree to it. Should I continue to pay till i die?
    Realistically, is it possible for your son to become self supporting? If not, is it fair for his mother to be the only one who provides any of his support?

There are parents who end up having to support their disabled children for life. The question is whether or not your child is one of those children.

The link below explains Adult Disabled Child Social Security Benefits. He may not qualify now. But, he might in the future

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/dqualify10.html

Quote Quoting eruzin
    View Post
    How is he expected to graduate on his 19th birthday (next year) when in a prior thread you stated he was in 9th grade (this past September)? Not to mention that previously he was your daughter and you were his (her?) mother living in CA...

It is also unclear how OH comes into play as you've stated in the past that you live in PA and she lives in CA, but the order is out of KY... Would you be so kind as to elaborate? Thank you.

1. Sponsored Links