Default When Can You Use a Fictitious Name vs. the Official Business Name

My question involves business law in the state of: California

I'll be operating an online retail store (e-commerce website) as a sole proprietor. I've already acquired a fictitious name (as I don't want to use my real name) but the website/domain name I purchased for my store is *different* than the fictitious name.

Since I'm required to have a 'Terms of Use', 'Privacy Policy' and 'Return Policy' pages for my site, do I use my fictitious name or my website name in them?

Regards

Default Re: Fictitious Name vs. Business Name

If you use the website name as a way identifying the business then it too is a fictitious (trade) name. It is possible for a business to have more than trade name. Each would have to be registered in most states. If you operate the site with the fictitious name you already have and just have an internet address that varies from the fictitious name, that should not present a problem. I would suggest that you use the fictitious name you are using for the site for the terms of use, etc.

Default Re: Fictitious Name vs. Business Name

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    If you use the website name as a way identifying the business then it too is a fictitious (trade) name. It is possible for a business to have more than trade name. Each would have to be registered in most states. If you operate the site with the fictitious name you already have and just have an internet address that varies from the fictitious name, that should not present a problem. I would suggest that you use the fictitious name you are using for the site for the terms of use, etc.
    Thanks Taxing Matters. The name of my e-commerce store (website name, logo...) and the internet address are the same but, they are different from the fictitious name. I think you're saying that I should file for another fictitious name that matches my e-commerce store name. Is that correct?

1. Sponsored Links