Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can You Make Your Ex- Agree to Renew a Joint Lease

Quote Quoting gardening123
    View Post
    I see some of the non-constructive posts were deleted, but I have a follow up question. Our lease is jointly and separately liability, and we have to have a signed letter from both of us that we want to renew for another year, or a signed notice to vacate from both of us, or it will renew month to month.

My girlfriend gave her 60 days notice in advance that she wishes to non-renew (and she thinks she will be able to walk Scott free lol), but I refused to sign saying I wanted to vacate - is that my loophole? Looks like she is now on the hook for the month to month lease forever??? I still don’t know if I qualify as the leasing office is ignoring my calls. What should my next step be?
    Your next step should be finding a new place to live instead of trying every which way to try to find a way to scrounge off her.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you want to remain in residence as a month-to-month tenant consistent with your lease and pay 100% of the rent, you may do so.

If you remain in residence and default on the rent, your landlord may try to use that provision in the lease to pursue your ex- for the rent that you owe -- or not. That will be entirely up to your landlord. It does not give you a basis to recover even a penny from your ex-, and to the extent that she covers your rent debt she could pursue you for indemnification.
    Well that’s not exactly what is happening, but I see your point. I just don’t want to move, it’s a hassle, and I feel like she’s being vindictive and I want leverage. Plus she signed the lease and so did I, so I figure I use the leverage I have to make her stay or to hold over her head so she’ll fear eviction if I don’t pay. I feel like many posters here would do the same thing in my shoes, but you’re not saying it publicly.

I don’t see how she could ever sue me if I stay month to month and default. BOTH of our names are on the original lease. I feel like she’s prob. Got no choice, even if she tells the LL she wants to non-renew at the end of this lease. But I am scared she could sue me if I stay month to month and default and she gets caught up in the evictions. I mean, I would try to pay the rent, but I feel like if she knows I might mess up she will be stuck at least trying to help me out, which is only fair.

View Post
    Well that’s not exactly what is happening, but I see your point. I just don’t want to move, it’s a hassle, and I feel like she’s being vindictive and I want leverage. Plus she signed the lease and so did I, so I figure I use the leverage I have to make her stay or to hold over her head so she’ll fear eviction if I don’t pay. I feel like many posters here would do the same thing in my shoes, but you’re not saying it publicly.

I don’t see how she could ever sue me if I stay month to month and default. BOTH of our names are on the original lease. I feel like she’s prob. Got no choice, even if she tells the LL she wants to non-renew at the end of this lease. But I am scared she could sue me if I stay month to month and default and she gets caught up in the evictions. I mean, I would try to pay the rent, but I feel like if she knows I might mess up she will be stuck at least trying to help me out, which is only fair.
    You are disgusting. I am not normally that blunt, but you seriously are disgusting. I can understand about it being a hassle to move but you want this woman to be responsible for how you prefer to live even though she no longer wishes to live with you. That is just crass.

You guys ... your troll-dar just failed you.

This is a repeat offender.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    You guys ... your troll-dar just failed you.

This is a repeat offender.
    No not a troll this is a real situation. Thanks for not adding much to the conversation.

Honestly this blew my mind when I read this I am sorry, but your at the wrong and shes in the right. If you want to stay in the same exact place than you can just be responsible get a second job or whatever it takes to pay your rent and bills and move on. Their is a reason she is leaving you in the first place as you mentioned she seems to be basically supporting you here and can't deal with it no more.

Going to court is going to make you look bad. A judge is a referee, but he can also go by common sense. If he was to read this would side with your ex girlfriend. When my dad had to evict a lying crazy lady the judge basically didn't buy whatever she was saying. Her argument made no sense and gave my dad judgement to evict her in the end (note this comes from CA a pro tenant state).

As someone mentioned this seems like a troll thread, if its not than grow a pair and move on. Let her do her thing and you do your thing. It doesnt seem your music career is working maybe you need to get something that will bring $$$. If you want to still try it than get another job to pay your bills and still try to pursue your music career.

As mentioned theirs a reason she is leaving you. Your arent acting like a responsible man this is suppose to be a 50/50 you pay half the bills she pays half even if she said she didn't mind paying 90 percent of the rent your suppose to help out in other ways to make up for that. Thats what a responsible adult does.

View Post
    What should my next step be?
    Seeking professional help.

That's the short answer. You're more than two tacos shy of a combo platter, so any longer of an answer would overtax your pysche.

Jus' sayin'.

I want leverage.

You have none.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I want leverage.

You have none.
    Not true, just not the kind I want. I can refuse to sign the vacate letter, and even if she leaves it will be month to month. She won’t be free of the lease. So if I stay for a few months and then stop paying the rent, she will either have to start helping me or she will be wrapped up in the eviction. I have tons of leverage. Apparently the landlord wants me to apply on my own with her giving notice to vacate, but they can’t evict me right away. I won’t apply until the very last minute, unless they force me. And honesty I don’t think they can even do that. Unless she wants to get her credit all messed up with an eviction, she will probably have to help me out to pay the rent.

Quote Quoting souperdave
    View Post
    Seeking professional help.

That's the short answer. You're more than two tacos shy of a combo platter, so any longer of an answer would overtax your pysche.

Jus' sayin'.
    You know that’s really uncalled for. How do you know I don’t have ADHD or PTSD or some other kind of mental issues? Maybe I do maybe I don’t but to go around on a public forum bashing me for being crazy when I’m actually looking for real help, geez why all the abuse buddy? Further, the taco analogy could be seen as patronizing to Mexican-Americans. Check your privilege!

You don't have anything like the leverage you think you have. I think you'll find that matters won't proceed exactly as you anticipate.

And regardless of whether you have any kind of mental issue or not, you are one of the most despicable human beings it has ever been my misfortune to encounter.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast