Default Accused of Making an Unsafe Lane Change After Being Hit by Another Car

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California.

I was in the first lane on the freeway, when someone pulls up next to me on lane #2. My passenger says that he seemed pissed about something and was gesturing towards us (I didn't see as I was driving in my lane). But I saw him when he pulled right next to me and turned his car towards me in lane #1. His car hits my car's front right loses control and turns to its side in lane #1, and my car hits the concrete wall next to lane #1 simultaneously because of the initial impact. During his statement he said that my car hit the wall first and then his car and somehow brought his car into the first lane. However my car never moved out of the lane.

The officer's statement says that the cause of the accident was determined to be my violation of CVC 22107 while doing an unsafe lane change to the left, where I hit the wall and ended up hitting him.
    The other guy was driving with a suspended license and no insurance. (So presumably he has a history)

Can I have the report amended as I don't think I'm at fault here.

Default Re: Contesting Chp Report

The report is the officers view of what happened. This report is prepared from the totality of the collision. It's relied upon by the statements of the involved parties, witnesses, physical evidence, and vehicle damage. It's obvious this officer believed you caused the collision.

Now, since he filed a report stating you were at fault this causes you a problem...its the point assessed to your DMV record for causing the collision (per the officer). You can go to the CHP office and ask for the report to be amended, but good luck having that happen. You are better off asking to supply your own written statement and have it attached to the report as a supplemental report. It's not going to change anything with the fault though.

You can contest the DMV point assessment with your local DMV field office as well. If you are successful at erasing the point you can save money on potential insurance premium increases.

On a side note, do you have an uninsured motorist policy?

Thank you for the response. I've filed a supplemental report, awaiting the officer's response.
    My insurance includes the uninsured motorist premium. So, hopefully, I'll be okay in regards to financial implications.

Do you know what are the implications now that officer's assessment says it's my fault. Implications that I know are: 1 point on my record (as you mentioned above), insurance premium going up.
    Are there other things I should worry about? Specially regarding officer issuing a citation, or other party's ground to sue me?

If you contest the ticket and win, you don't get points.

If you are sued, turn the claim over to your insurance company. They'll make their own assessment of fault -- and are likely already doing so, given that you've likely made a claim for repair of the accident damage.

In the Recommendations section it would say if the officer forwarded the collision to the DA's office for prosecution. If you are missing that section or it says "none" then you will not be receiving a citation.

You should work on getting the DMV assessed point removed from your record if you truly believe you didn't cause the collision.

Thank you both of you for the response. There is a recommendation section in the report, that says 'None'.

I'll get working on removing the DMV point from my record.

1. Sponsored Links