Default Committing a Crime During a Psychotic Episode

I have schizophrenia and I haven't been taking my pills sadly, And yesterday at Walmart. (Yes Walmart)I stole something because the voices in my head told me to, I don't know if I'll go to jail or not but its bothering me, should I call 911 and tell them what happened, or sit here and blame myself?

Default Re: My Schizophrenia Problem

I don't condone shoplifting but if you got out of the store and got home without being stopped I suggest you not add a criminal prosecution to your problems.

Get back on your pills and talk to your shrink and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Default Re: My Schizophrenia Problem

Mental health issues are generally not a defense to criminal acts unless it was so severe that you did not know right from wrong. This is especially true if the mental health issue is previously diagnosed, treatment provided, but the patient ignored the prescribed treatment (not taking your meds).

I agree with jack’s advice above. Get back on your meds. If the meds cause untenable side effects, consult with your doctor regarding alternatives.

1. Sponsored Links