Question Providing Background Checks to Consumers

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: WA

I would like to start a business where users can pay my business for me to run a background check (credit, verify work, criminal address verification) on them. Then they can specify which people I can share their results with. Seems like this would be ok to do. The only reason I ask about operating a backgoround business like this is that it's not typically done like this. From my research usually it's other comapnies (employers or landlords) that want to run a background check on someone. I'm trying to reverse the flow and have the users purchase their own background check and then have my business share the results with whom they specify.

Default Re: Can I Run a Background Check Company Like This

Not sure any of the recipients would want to trust a BG check paid for by the person themselves. Too easy to pay for something to be manipulated/taken off.

As an employer, I want to use a BG check company that I know, trust and have a relationship with so that I can get consistent reporting. For all I know, you are my applicant's old college roommate.

Default Re: Providing Background Checks to Consumers

Even if the subject of your investigation were to retain you to create the report, you would need to follow any applicable licensing requirements for your state, and you would be subject to credit reporting laws -- so for any information you released, you would want to be sure to have a legally valid and enforceable release form that covered your release(s).

As an alternative, you might offer some sort of certification that the customer could present to others, subject to your verification that you issued the certification on a specified date.

In designing your service you would need to think about your market -- what they would want, and what they would pay for.

Default Re: Providing Background Checks to Consumers

While your home state isn't one of them there are at least six states where it is illegal for an employer to request or require an employee to provide or pay for their own background check.

As an employer that runs 60 some odd background checks a month I would never let a company that was found by the applicant provide a background check of any kind. Because basically you work for who pays you. I want the background check provider working for me.

1. Sponsored Links