Default What Happens With an Automatic Renewal Subscription if You Stop Paying

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: California

Hello,thanks for reading this and trying to help.

Basically,I signed up to a free trial offer with a site called SugarSync.I used a one-time use prepaid card with no funds in it and I attached that to PayPal.I for the life of me couldn't remember the details I used i.e the email I used so I couldn't cancel it.Once the auto-renewal happened they tried to charge the price of 7.95 USD to said prepaid card about 11 times(4 days from each charge) and they all failed due to insufficient funds,the first charge was on 5/31/17 and the last was 7/19/17,they haven't attempted any more future charges.

I want to know anyone's advice on this matter,since they haven't attempted any more charges did they simply cancel/disable/ the account or possibly made it into a free account after the first failed payment? Are they suiting up for debt collections/small times court case? Are they allowed to keep attempting the charge until it adds up enough to make debt collections/small times court worth it?

I stress easily,and anyone's advice on this would help greatly,thank you for reading this,hope you have a great day.

Default Re: Free Trial Debt Collection

depends on what you agreed to on that free trial. You might try their signup website see if you can find the terms and conditions.

All scenarios are possible. Did you give a real name/address/etc?

Thanks for your response hr for me,

I used a prepaid card with a fake name and my address.

What should I be looking for in the ToS for?

The other response was accurate, but in all reality the fact that they could not get the money generally just cancels things. You see, the reason why they get your card up front, is because they are hoping that even if you are not all that impressed with the service, that you will at least let a few months go by before you cancel. In your case they did not get away with that.

Thanks for the response as well llworking ,

Can I get your best guess on what you think will happen? Nothing? Debt collections? Court?

How could they take collection action? They have neither your name or address.

It's a card from prepaidcodecenter,I got it as a reward from a survey site.I put a fake name in but my address

Have you googled their name and collections to see if you can find others who got the free trial who were later hassled about owning money?

I doubt they will do much, but no one can really guess what they will try. Some would just cancel it out and it not be worth the collections process time. Others might be willing to go after people who don't cancel the free trial and yes, I suspect like llworking says that their business model is set up to keep charging those that forget to cancel (and you'd be surprised how many that is). I think most are scams honestly and hence don't play their games at all.

That said "free trial offers" are not generally free if you have to agree to be charged after the trial period is over -- they are hoping to get at least one (more) payment out of you. And sometimes are legally setup to win in a collections battle.

Did you continue to receive/use the service during that time period? If so they have a better case that you would owe for services rendered. But no, they don't just change it to a free service.

I signed up to the free trial to earn points on a site and never used it even during the free trial period,they stopped charging me on 7/19/17,so I'm hoping they just canceled the service.

EDIT: I have googled their names and no responses come up about it.

EDIT: -

Alright yall,

I spoke to a Sugarsync rep via live chat and asked him a general question about what happens if they can't charge the card and he said "What occurs is that the account is then disabled for a period of time, to allow the customer to get in contact with us. At which point, if the customer wishes to re-activate the account, we can do it from our end." He also said the account does not go into a free account.

I then said this and this was his response

Me: What happens if the customer doesn't get/want to get in contact,is the customer liable for the charge or is the account just disabled/canceled until they customer wants to use the service again
    Luis Mendoza: That is correct.
    Me: So I do not owe any money since the charge did not go through I and can just forget about this,is that correct?
    Luis Mendoza: Correct.

I then asked him to confirm it multiple times and asked him if they did debt collections over it and he said they don't.

Thank you hr for me,PayrolGuy,and llworking for your responses,they truly did help me calm my nerves,I hope you all have a great day.

you're welcome!

I would just stay away from these types of things, because while this one was reasonable, others may not be.

1. Sponsored Links