Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Billed for a Repair That Was Expected to be Paid by Insurance

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: CA

To make things simple their was an issue in a condo that was apparently fixed. Everything was payed except it seems another invoice wasn't acknowledged and my parents being the owners it was thrown to them. Being that it was a rented unit my dad later out found out that it was past due. I called and they said its now in collections hands. My dad went to claim why this invoice wasnt paid when the guy incharge of the association said that he would cover a part and my dad another part (basically the association used their insurance to handle this issue).

Fast forward I am here to see what are the options. The invoices were billed to the insurance, but it doesn't seem they were going to pay that (they did however pay other ones). So at this point I sent a letter certified to the collection company (Grant & Weber) acknowledging this is no my debt, they responded and highlighted the work was done on the unit, but the bill was to the insurance. So say I have to pay this whats my best intake to pay the very least amount here? How should I deal with it maybe cut it in half if pay in full or even pay less but still paying in full (the amount is about $1,800). Reason I want to work this out is because they are already charging interest and its minimal, but its not something I want to ignore. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How to Deal with a Debt Owed

There is a lot that isn't clear about where the bill came from or why it was incurred but that doesn't matter right now. The collection agency won't care about the details, it'll only care about the money.

Your parents own the unit, the bill has your Dad's name on it, it needs to be paid ASAP because it isn't going to get any smaller.

Your Dad could try offering a lump sum discounted cash settlement (60% to 80%). If acceptable he needs to get it in writing that it's full and final settlement and wipes out the debt.

If the collection agency won't budge then he needs to pay the whole thing and THEN he can figure out if he's entitled to reimbursement from either an insurance company or from the HOA.

Thanks for the response I just wanted to get a brief input of the situation, my next question being Grand & Weber (heard they are pretty bad) how can I push a lump sum if it gets to that point. I think an 60 to 80% would be sweet, but how do I get them to work with me in a lump sum for everything to be paid in full?

Thats what he is doing as for now the whole collection thing just started since I sent a letter not being his debt, but they responded. My dad being old school (doesnt really understand all the laws) he doesnt care about credit score, but he does about a lien. So as mentioned is their a way to escalate the case to work a lump sum what can I tell them where they will want to budge in if everything is paid in full. Also I want it in writing that the debt is settle to have this as record, but how would I get that letter how can I fully trust them? Thanks for the help also!

Quote Quoting li/<o
    View Post
    how can I push a lump sum if it gets to that point. I think an 60 to 80% would be sweet, but how do I get them to work with me in a lump sum for everything to be paid in full?
    You start by putting together the money. No use talking to them unless have the money ready.

When you have the money, you call up and talk to somebody in authority and you make the offer.

Quote Quoting li/<o
    View Post

how would I get that letter how can I fully trust them?
    You get the person in authority to send you a signed letter saying that upon receipt of X dollars the account is settled in full and all collection efforts will cease.

Then you send the cashiers check to that person with a restricted delivery signature confirmation.

The letter and the payment is an enforceable settlement contract.

Might be a good idea to talk to a lawyer about how to set that up.

I’m at a loss. Are you or your father being dunned for the debt? If you, struggle on. If your father, unless your father has granted you a poa and the creditor has accepted your authority under said poa, you have no rights or authority to act on behalf of your father. He must undertake the negotiations. Anything you might agree to can simply be ignored by the creditor.

Default Re: Billed for a Repair That Was Expected to be Paid by Insurance

Thanks for the response the funds are their just want to work a deal here to pay the least. It's outrages what contractor can charge (now debt are on collections hands), but I guess best way is to give them a call I just don't want to get tricked or screwed on this one. It gives an option to pay with a credit card, but I feel a cash offer will give a better discount. Never delt with collections so want to get the most info out their. Did some research and some have cut their debt to half or more if that's possible maybe can end this and call it a day as you said. Just don't know if they be willing to negotiate something.

Its behalf my dad, but he doesn't know much English is the reason I handling the situation his behalf.

You missed my point entirely. Unless you have legal authority to act on behalf of your father and the creditor has accepted that, the creditor can refuse to maintain any negotiations you have with them, even if you have come to an agreed upon settlement.

That's what I meant usually my old man will give me the authorization to deal with situations I just want feedback of how to work with collections. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Quote Quoting li/<o
    View Post
    That's what I meant usually my old man will give me the authorization to deal with situations I just want feedback of how to work with collections. Thanks for all the help everyone.
    It’s the creditor must be aware that you are NOT the debtor and that you do have legal authority to act on behalf of your father and they must knowingly accept that. Otherwise they have an out for any deal you might personally strike with them.

It may work out ok as it is but should there be a hiccup, you have no legal leg to stand on and enforce whatever deal was made.

Yea I aware them and than they ask questions to verify than if its ok to authorize them to speak on their behalf. I would let them deal with them, but their English isnt that good. In the end of the day just want things to work out with them hopefully it does.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast