Default Fees for an Immigration Medical Exam

Good day everyone,

I was just ripped off by an immigration medical doctor. I am a US citizen and went for an immigration medical exam for my mother. We only have 1 USCIS doctor nearby, all others are more than an hour drive away. The doctor told me on the phone that the exam will be $300 and up (in fact I called several other offices, and they all say we need to see the patient before giving a quote). When we came to the office, after completion of all paperwork he started the exam before giving me an estimate. Half way through the exam he went into his office, came back and said that the total would be $645. All he had done was checking blood pressure, TB test, collecting urine sample, collecting blood sample, and asking about past illnesses. No immunization shots were done (we had up-to-date immunization records). Overall, he spent 10 minutes with my mother and told to come back in 3 days for TB reading.

First, I feel that $645 for immigration medical without a single immunization shot (or any other extra tests) is a ripoff. Are these prices regulated in any way?
    Second, I believe that he has not done proper physical exam. The exam consists of checking temperature, knee reaction, mental health evaluation, eye checks, and some other things. He only checked blood pressure. This looks like immigration fraud.
    Third, we have no idea what tests were ordered and their results (except, of course, visual inspection of the TB). How do I know he even did any tests? He gave no paperwork back as to what tests were done or the results, except verbally saying "everything is fine". He returned the sealed envelope. Is there any way to know whether the doctor, in fact, did any tests?
    Lastly, he did not give us any itemized receipt, just a credit card printout for $645. Should he be required to provide an itemized receipt and breakdown of costs? It sounds to me that physical exam, tb test, and required blood and urine tests would cost less even at the same doctor if done separately, not part of the immigration medical.

Thanks.

Default Re: Immigration Medical Exam

YOU can't do anything.

Your mother can ask for a copy of her medical records/test results. There may be an additional nominal charge for this.

$600-700 is not unheard of for this, though often you can find people who will do it under $400. I'm suspecting that you misunderstood what he told you on your initial request.

Default Re: Fees for an Immigration Medical Exam

Quote Quoting ilya980
    View Post
    Good day everyone,

I was just ripped off by an immigration medical doctor. I am a US citizen and went for an immigration medical exam for my mother. We only have 1 USCIS doctor nearby, all others are more than an hour drive away. The doctor told me on the phone that the exam will be $300 and up (in fact I called several other offices, and they all say we need to see the patient before giving a quote). When we came to the office, after completion of all paperwork he started the exam before giving me an estimate. Half way through the exam he went into his office, came back and said that the total would be $645. All he had done was checking blood pressure, TB test, collecting urine sample, collecting blood sample, and asking about past illnesses. No immunization shots were done (we had up-to-date immunization records). Overall, he spent 10 minutes with my mother and told to come back in 3 days for TB reading.

First, I feel that $645 for immigration medical without a single immunization shot (or any other extra tests) is a ripoff. Are these prices regulated in any way?
    Second, I believe that he has not done proper physical exam. The exam consists of checking temperature, knee reaction, mental health evaluation, eye checks, and some other things. He only checked blood pressure. This looks like immigration fraud.
    Third, we have no idea what tests were ordered and their results (except, of course, visual inspection of the TB). How do I know he even did any tests? He gave no paperwork back as to what tests were done or the results, except verbally saying "everything is fine". He returned the sealed envelope. Is there any way to know whether the doctor, in fact, did any tests?
    Lastly, he did not give us any itemized receipt, just a credit card printout for $645. Should he be required to provide an itemized receipt and breakdown of costs? It sounds to me that physical exam, tb test, and required blood and urine tests would cost less even at the same doctor if done separately, not part of the immigration medical.

Thanks.
    Sealing the envelope is mandatory.

For what its worth, it was around $500 for me about 20 years ago.

(Yes, really)

A medical history for a new patient is expensive. A simple followup office visit with no tests at our PCP is well over $200.

You were NOT ripped off. If you cannot afford this charge, you cannot afford medical care in the US, and you need to rethink her moving here.

I called several offices and all said "300 and up" or "280 and up" etc. I recall when I did it (about 8 years ago) I paid about $350 and had 1 MMR shot. This office also said "300 and up depending on shots needed". There were no shots needed. All they did was mandatory for everyone, i.e. (lousy) physical checkup, TB, blood work, and urine. How do I know someone will do it for under $400 if they all say the same thing? Today, I asked the office for the itemized bill. The doctor just took a piece of paper and wrote on it: office visit - 225, lab work - 325, TB - 95.

Dogmatique, You didn't say what was done for $500. Was it more than the bare minimum? Your "(yes, really)" comment implies that you feel like the price was too high. Too bad. I feel that the intended purpose of the exam is to medically vet immigrants, and not to enrich crooked physicians by ripping off their clients.

Quote Quoting ilya980
    View Post
    I called several offices and all said "300 and up" or "280 and up" etc. I recall when I did it (about 8 years ago) I paid about $350 and had 1 MMR shot. This office also said "300 and up depending on shots needed". There were no shots needed. All they did was mandatory for everyone, i.e. (lousy) physical checkup, TB, blood work, and urine. How do I know someone will do it for under $400 if they all say the same thing? Today, I asked the office for the itemized bill. The doctor just took a piece of paper and wrote on it: office visit - 225, lab work - 325, TB - 95.

Dogmatique, You didn't say what was done for $500. Was it more than the bare minimum? Your "(yes, really)" comment implies that you feel like the price was too high. Too bad. I feel that the intended purpose of the exam is to medically vet immigrants, and not to enrich crooked physicians by ripping off their clients.
    You understand what "upward of" means though, yes?

(No, I didn't feel the price was too high. I felt the price was exactly what I expected; I was not charged for the visit itself however, just the labs, TB, fun stuff).

Not that it helps now, but it depends a lot on a part of the country and general state of healthcare in it.
    When my relative recently needed such an exam, he started calling local USCIS-approved doctors and just rolled his eyes in surprise - the cheapest option offered to him was from $625 with almost 2 months wait to get a slot.

However this is just a reflection of a truly disastrous state of healthcare in a part of the country I live in - it is quite rural and generally very depressing, so many young and educated people are fleeing as soon as they can. Just to put it in perspective - I can't even get a PCP for good 2 years here even though I am young, healthy and have decent insurance from my employer - nobody accepts new patients here, period, full stop.

I advised him to call to a few places in ~150 miles from here closer to a big city and one of the first places he tried offered the same exam for ~$200 + labwork with no wait time at all, just walk-in. He ended up paying around $350, but he pretty much had to do all vaccinations and tests as he had nothing to show his medical history from the other country.

So, ilya980, if you live in such an area where there are only a few doctors and not many immigrants, fees in excess of $600+ seem to be quite common. I personally think it is insane, but after seeing a $980 bill from a local hospital for a non-emergency chest X-Ray it's almost impossible to surprise me with anything lol.

1. Sponsored Links