Default Wil a Private Defense Lawyer Get You a Better Deal Than a Court-Appointed Lawyer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: TX

I have a court appointed lawyer. The prosecutor is offering probation as part of a plea deal. At this point in the game, if I am able to hire a lawyer, is it possible to get a better outcome than a plea deal? Or would the outcome likely be the same?

Default Re: Can I Get a Better Deal if I Hire a Different Lawyer

Quote Quoting Phil905
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: TX

I have a court appointed lawyer. The prosecutor is offering probation as part of a plea deal. At this point in the game, if I am able to hire a lawyer, is it possible to get a better outcome than a plea deal? Or would the outcome likely be the same?
    No way to determine that without knowing all the details of your case, who the public defender is, and who you are contemplating hiring instead. If you could afford to hire your own lawyer you should not have been appointed a public defender. In any event, for some crimes some prosecutors offer pretty standard deals, at least for first time offenders, in which case the deal offered would be the same regardless of who your lawyer was. For other offenses, the skill of your lawyer in negotiating could make a difference. Do not assume that court appointed attorneys are worse than private attorneys; some may be very good, some not, just like private lawyers. So simply knowing that your attorney was court appointed tells us nothing about how good he or she is, just as telling us you are considering hiring your own lawyer tells us nothing about how good that lawyer is. The rules of this site prohibit you naming the attorneys in your post, so don’t give us that info.

Default Re: Wil a Private Defense Lawyer Get You a Better Deal Than a Court-Appointed Lawyer

Quote Quoting Phil905
    View Post
    At this point in the game, if I am able to hire a lawyer, is it possible to get a better outcome than a plea deal? Or would the outcome likely be the same?
    Consult a local criminal defense lawyer or two. Most will give you an honest assessment; but keep in mind that some will try to sell you the sun and the moon to get you to sign a retainer agreement, even if they can't deliver a better deal.

If one wins powerball the day after being appointed an attorney, should the appointment be vacated?
    People's finances are not always fixed and static.

Quote Quoting JustANobody
    View Post
    If one wins powerball the day after being appointed an attorney, should the appointment be vacated?
    Please don't necro post. Especially if the post isn't even on point.

Quote Quoting JustANobody
    View Post
    If the defendant suddenly comes into a large amount of cash after the appointment then he or she should have to pay for his/her defense. That means either paying the public defender for his/her representation or getting a private attorney.

A court could potentially revisit a court appointment; but even with court-appointed lawyers, a sentence will often require that the defendant (to the extent that it is reasonably within their means) pay back the cost of their court-appointed lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links