Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sexting with a Minor Who Claimed to Be 18

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Utah

So I got a buddy who was on this messaging app and came across a woman who claimed to be 18, and long story short, there was sexting and inappropriate pictures involved. When all was said and done, the woman claiming to be 18 actually said she was 16. My friend then ceased the conversations and deleted everything to and from her. He hasnít tried to make contact and she hasnít responded or tried to message him either. Lately he has been freaking out that the cops are gonna come to his door and arrest him and he will have to register as a sex offender. So what does he do?

Default Re: Sexting with a Minor Who Claimed to Be 18

What does he do?

Learn to be something other than a lecher and hope this incident doesn’t get him thrown into prison.

Well he has definitely learned the lesson I feel, but he is too afraid to really get help,or figure out what to do. He’s my best friend and I know what he did was totally wrong, and I really don’t know what to tell him to help him. He really is a good guy, he just made that one mistake and it’s haunted him for months now.

So youíre actually lying and now trying to find a cover story?

your other post;

So I have a friend who was looking online to talk to women, he found one who said she was 18, they talked inappropriately, there were pictures sent and then when all was said and done, she told him that she was really 16. After that, there was more conversation, but about why she would lie about the age and stuff like that, then deleted all of the pictures and conversation. Since then, there has been no response from the minor and he hasnít made any other contact with her. But he has been super bothered by it and worried the cops are gonna just show up at the door. The minor was also out of state, but yeah, he hasnít heard anything and hasnít tried making contact. What are his options or what should he do
    In your first post (this one quoted) you said the conversation continues after discovering her age. In the second one you say communications ceased upon discovering her age.

Btw: deleting something from your computer doesnít really delete it. It takes a lot of intentional effort to actually hide something stored on your computer.

the sexting ceased when he found out she was under 18, but yeah there was more conversation after that. My fault for not giving all the details like I did earlier. I’m not trying to cover anything for him, I’m just trying to help him.

If this happened months ago and nothing has happened yet, odds are that nothing is going to happen. If the cops were going to show up at your - sorry, I mean his - door, they would have done so by now. Stop sending inappropriate pictures - I mean, tell him to stop sending inappropriate pictures - to people you - I mean he - haven't met IRL and you - he - won't have to worry about such things.

Well thanks for all of the info!

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    If this happened months ago and nothing has happened yet, odds are that nothing is going to happen. If the cops were going to show up at your - sorry, I mean his - door, they would have done so by now. Stop sending inappropriate pictures - I mean, tell him to stop sending inappropriate pictures - to people you - I mean he - haven't met IRL and you - he - won't have to worry about such things.
    like button

It would depend on how many months. The wheels of Justice often turn slowly. It wouldnt be unusual for a warrant to not be issued for a couple- three months. For all anybody knows they obtained a warrant to obtain the guys ISP records. That’s not a quick process

while it’s not likely to amount to anything, the relatively short period of time that has passed is not the reason I believe that to be.

I think it’s been at least three months...? I’m honestly not sure. But no, that makes sense what you said.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast