Question Will a Sealed Criminal Record Show Up on a FAA Background Check

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Arkansas.

Had a DWI in Arkansas, had it sealed and requested a copy of my criminal history information with the Arkansas Crime Information Center (ACIC) to verify if it shows on there. They were not able to find any criminal history of me in the state- tho I have a copy of the court ordered seal and DWI information. I should consider it a win, but I'm fully aware the FBI background for government jobs do not have to keep mum about a state ordered sealed record as they don't have to abide by state law. My major concern is however, the F.A.A. will be conducting an FBI background check on me due to a job offer for a commercial airline and unsure if I am still able to say "no" for any DWI as those three little letters can hinder my future employment opportunities. I am waiting for the FBI rap sheet I ordered but it hasn't arrived yet. Hopeful that someone will have some insight on this topic. Any advice is welcomed, after all, I will know a little bit more once the rap sheet arrives. Thank you.

Default Re: Sealed DWI Record in the State of Arkansas: Will the Faa See It

Are you applying for a job that requires a medical certificate such as a pilot or controller? If so, you're in big trouble. The FAA not only will see that, they will expect you to volunteer the information. Failure to do so will result in the potential lost of all your certificates. DWI is a big thing to the FAA medical folks. I suggest if this is the case you find a good AME who can walk you through the certification process. If you had a documented BAC of less than 0.15% at the time, you might get certified without too much fuss. If you had a higher amount or you refused testing (which the FAA will assume means that you had a high BAC), they will assume you have developed an alcohol tolerance and you will have to go through much more psychological testing as well as demonstrated (i.e., random testing) abstinance and whatever treatment they feel is necessary (from AA on up to something really effective).

For other FAA security related things (SIDA), it matters little. DWI isn't one of the disqualifying offenses.

Thanks. Yes, 0.15% or less in 2011. Would a Governor's Pardon help at all when it comes to the FAA medical? considering options and thank you for the heads up about the AME tip. These ratings are so expensive and hard to accomplish to add yet another hurtle in the mix.

For other FAA security related things (SIDA badge), any hiccups when it comes to the inflight cabin to clear an FBI Background Check? That you or anyone knows of?

No, a pardon means nothing to the medical. It is not a matter of your criminal guilt on this. It is weather you are medically fit to fly. You want to talk to an AME ***BEFORE*** you commence an application. Once an medical examiner opens the applications, he will almost certainly have to deny/defer you.

SIDA/Controlled Area access has a list of specific crimes that are going to be a problem. DUI isn't one of them. It's all things like terrorism, arson, kidnapping, hijacking, etc... They most likely will see your expunged/pardoned conviction, but it won't mean much to them.

1. Sponsored Links