Post Custody Arrangements When a Young Child is Afraid of a Parent

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington

My daughter is 5 years old, me and her father are going through a divorce that started in 2015. Domestic violence was the issue here. My daughter saw everything that happened to me and now I have a no contact order in place. We are at the point where they are wanting to grant him supervised visitations after he goes through counseling. Mind you she has not seen her dad since December, 2015, the night of his arrest for the abuse. I have spoke with her a few times about it and she has always been consistent at not wanting to see him, she's afraid of him etc. Now that its been brought back up, she is experiencing nightmares again and I don't want to force her into seeing him if she is truly this upset. I want to know if there is anything I can do to help her. I have been on looking at other forums but they all pertain to older kids. She was only 3 1/2 when this happened and its been almost 2 years since she seen him. Please anything will help me.

Default Re: Custody Arrangements When a Young Child is Afraid of a Parent

Why are you talking to - and likely influencing - her about him?

Get her to a counselor.

If there is a court order for visitation with him, you should plan to obey it.

Default Re: Custody Arrangements When a Young Child is Afraid of a Parent

Quote Quoting SeaGal88
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington

My daughter is 5 years old, me and her father are going through a divorce that started in 2015. Domestic violence was the issue here. My daughter saw everything that happened to me and now I have a no contact order in place. We are at the point where they are wanting to grant him supervised visitations after he goes through counseling. Mind you she has not seen her dad since December, 2015, the night of his arrest for the abuse. I have spoke with her a few times about it and she has always been consistent at not wanting to see him, she's afraid of him etc. Now that its been brought back up, she is experiencing nightmares again and I don't want to force her into seeing him if she is truly this upset. I want to know if there is anything I can do to help her. I have been on looking at other forums but they all pertain to older kids. She was only 3 1/2 when this happened and its been almost 2 years since she seen him. Please anything will help me.
    You really do need to get her to a counselor, and one that will be willing to testify in court if necessary.

I witnessed a traumatic event at about age 3 and I had nightmares for years afterwards and anything approaching a similar event caused me to be a basket case. Your child is going to eventually have to deal with visiting her father, even if it ends up being supervised, so everything you can do to help her (the counseling in great part) will make life better for her.

1. Sponsored Links