Default Salvage Title is Taking Over 3 Months to Process

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Georgia. I bought a lightly hail damaged car in Indiana in June shortly after the transmission on my car fell apart. When I got back to Georgia, where I live, I began the process of changing the title from salvage to rebuilt. I passed inspections and submitted the salvaged title to the Department of Revenue at the beginning of July.

They said the process takes 2-3 weeks. When the temporary tag was expiring at the beginning of August we checked on the DOR. They said we were not in the system yet and they were severely backlogged. We got a letter in the mail at the end of August from the DOR denying our title. They asked for a $23,000 surety bond or proof of what parts were used to repair the vehicle.

When I talked to them and explained it was only light hail damage. I do not intend to repair it. They admitted the T-129 form had the "no parts were used to repair this vehicle" box checked. They apologized for the misunderstanding and requested me to resubmit what they sent me with a cover letter explaining no parts were used to repair the vehicle and pictures of the hail damaged vehicle. They said this submittal should only take 5-7 business days if I address it to the person that reviewed the case the first time.

I did as instructed and resubmitted it around September 6th. It has been 5 weeks. I called again today, October 10th, to ask about the status of the title. This time they changed their minds and said I would need to fill out the surety bond regardless of whether I used parts to fix my car or not. They let me know they are processing cases from August 22nd today. So if I submitted the surety bond today they may get to it by 2018. All this time I am not allowed to drive my fully functioning vehicle that has passed inspections. If they deny my title again from the submittal September submittal I would like to pursue legal action. They do not allow me to talk to their supervisors. They will not give me any contact information.

I have been on hold for over 3 hours today. They have said I am not allowed to meet them in person at the DOR. I have not had a car for months. I'm an engineer, and this has taken far too long and been excessively inconvenient. I need my car. I am really angry about this. Do I have a case? What kind of attorney could I contact?

Thanks,
    Ben

Default Re: Salvage Title is Taking Over 3 Months to Process

Sorry, but you're not going to get money from the state for the delays in obtaining a salvage title.

I'm not interested in money. I'm interested in getting my title and being able to drive my car before 2018. I may also be interested in a more effective management style or system of organization at the Georgia Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle Division. That would help thousands of people a year.

Is there any place to appeal my case? I have followed their instructions twice. They are saying they may deny me a second time. Because they changed their minds for what I should submit.

You presently have no case to appeal. The bureaucracy is moving slowly, but it's moving. If and when they tell you that no matter what you do, it's impossible to issue you a title? Then you'll have something you can spend $thousands trying to litigate. For now, if you run into bureaucratic hurdles you can try speaking to supervisors.

Everybody here has encountered a bureaucratic nightmare at some time, and we can sympathize, but that doesn't mean that there's a legal case.

I wanted to add the ending to this chain. We were notified last week that the DOR lost our resubmission and asked us to submit again. They are 2 months behind in processing whatever comes in (They literally do not open their mail until 2 months after they get it). So I went there in person and explained what happened. They were shocked and upset. (The building you can talk to a person at is not the same location they process paperwork.) The person I talked to got their manager. That person got their manager, and they approved the rebuilt title and mailed it to me a few days later.

Good job. Thanks for the update.

1. Sponsored Links