Default What to Do if You Go AWOL or Desert from the Military

Hello all I have a situation and hope some one can help or guide me in the correct manner. My cousin enlisted and did his basic training for the marine core after basic they get to go home for 10 day's until they are given their orders, he did not return to service after his 10 days off and has been living in mexico since 2001. He was young and scared and it was an impulse decision that he has been regretting. he wants to come back and make amend what he did and wants to turn him surrender him self but not get arrested by local or border officers. I called the desertion number for the core and they advised his best bet would be to turn surrender him self to the U.S. Embassy that will grant him safe passage back into the U.S. and in the hands of the marine core. my question is would this be the best option or should he try and obtain a lawyer to negociate his surrender??? ive been told many things and a lot of back and forth from sergeants and help lines but nothing concrete. one sargent said well his file is very old and has been damaged so he would be brought back and processed but might take some time. does any one know how long it takes to get them processed ???

Default Re: Awol or Desertion

If he turns himself at the embassy he isn't going to get stuck at some border holding center. If he is arrested at the border he will be until the USMC sends someone to get him. They will not do this quickly.

Quote Quoting AWOL209
    View Post
    his best bet would be to turn surrender him self to the U.S. Embassy that will grant him safe passage back into the U.S. and in the hands of the marine core. my question is would this be the best option or should he try and obtain a lawyer to negotiate his surrender???
    There is nothing to negotiate. He either surrenders or he doesn't. He has no bargaining power. Whatever happens will happen.

It's amusing how criminals are willing to repent as long as they don't get arrested.

smh.

like I stated he is more than willing to come back and pay for what he did , but now he has a family that he needs to look after so yes he wants to know if there is anything he can do to have this process expedited . I'm here to try and get him help and advise not to have negative and irritable responces thank you

thank you I really appreciate your advise thanks

Quote Quoting AWOL209
    View Post
    Hello all I have a situation and hope some one can help or guide me in the correct manner. My cousin enlisted and did his basic training for the marine core after basic they get to go home for 10 day's until they are given their orders, he did not return to service after his 10 days off and has been living in mexico since 2001. He was young and scared and it was an impulse decision that he has been regretting. he wants to come back and make amend what he did and wants to turn him surrender him self but not get arrested by local or border officers. I called the desertion number for the core and they advised his best bet would be to turn surrender him self to the U.S. Embassy that will grant him safe passage back into the U.S. and in the hands of the marine core. my question is would this be the best option or should he try and obtain a lawyer to negociate his surrender??? ive been told many things and a lot of back and forth from sergeants and help lines but nothing concrete. one sargent said well his file is very old and has been damaged so he would be brought back and processed but might take some time. does any one know how long it takes to get them processed ???
    He would likely do well to consult an attorney in the U.S. who practices extensively in the area of military law. I disagree with Adjusterjack’s contention that there is nothing to negotiate; indeed there are aspects of this that can be negotiated and there are choices to make on how to do this as well. The attorney will be able to talk him through the options and tell him what he is likely to face should he return to the U.S. and face military justice for his failure to report to duty.

thank you I do appreciate the guidance and I will try and get legal advice to see what are his options. the desertion line at the base did advise this is the best thing for him to do is surrender to the embassy

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

FYI, that's desertion, not AWOL. It's very, very serious.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links