Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will You Get Arrested on a Warrant if You Apply for a State ID

I need a new state ID in KY but I have a warrant, will they run my name and have a deputy arrest me?

Default Re: Will You Get Arrested on a Warrant if You Apply for a State ID

This question gets asked a lot.

Of course, they'll "run your name." It's automatic. Whether their computers are set up to bring up the warrant is anybody's guess.

It's also impossible to predict whether or not the clerk will call an officer.

So, just like any other criminal, you'll just have to sweat out the possibility of getting arrested on the spot.

If you're going to motor vehicles for your ID, there is a great possibility that you will be arrested. Motor Vehicle computers are connected with the Criminal Courts computers. That is how motor vehicles find out who is suspended through the court system and it is the criminal court computer that knows who has an active warrant or not.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Of course, they'll "run your name." It's automatic. Whether their computers are set up to bring up the warrant is anybody's guess.
    Even if we assume the unlikely possibility that the Idaho DMV runs a warrant search every time somebody tries to obtain or renew a driver's license or state ID card, it would be unlikely that the warrant search would turn up a warrant from another state. Still, whatever the odds, it's a roll of the dice.

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Motor Vehicle computers are connected with the Criminal Courts computers.
    You know that for a fact, in Idaho, that the DMV is tied into all criminal courts across the state, not just to driving records? Do you have a source for that assertion? And that search will also turn up out-of-state warrants?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Even if we assume the unlikely possibility that the Idaho DMV runs a warrant search every time somebody tries to obtain or renew a driver's license or state ID card, it would be unlikely that the warrant search would turn up a warrant from another state. Still, whatever the odds, it's a roll of the dice.

You know that for a fact, in Idaho, that the DMV is tied into all criminal courts across the state, not just to driving records? Do you have a source for that assertion? And that search will also turn up out-of-state warrants?
    Take a look at C. Data-Sharing Capabilities in the forth paragraph. It will explain that it shares information with other government agencies as well as law enforcement.

https://www.brennancenter.org/analys...cles-databases

This page states that Idaho is a participating state.

http://www.aamva.org/uploadedFiles/M...er%20Dates.pdf
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

View Post
    Take a look at C. Data-Sharing Capabilities in the forth paragraph. It will explain that it shares information with other government agencies as well as law enforcement.
    You will note that the reference is to sharing data from a state DMV to other agencies. The fact that DMV's distribute their data to their offices and potentially to other agencies lends zero support to your claim that DMV offices draw information directly from court systems throughout a state, let alone from other states. The fact that a court can access a defendant's driving history does not translate into the DMV's being able to review a defendant's court records.

On the other hand, it doesn't mean they can't. I can't vouch for arrest records, but many of the state DMVs pull (or are given) child support violations which can be a block to licensing/registration.

The answer is you can always be arrested on a warrant. Even if you're hiding in a hole in your backyard.

My understanding and from reading on another site, they do comunacat with eachother. I will try and dig it out once I get time.

Looking up the statutes in the poster's state of Kentucky, there's not necessarily a DMV block on a "warrant," but there certainly can be on things that cause warrants. For instance, FTA's will suspend/block licenses (and likely result in NELG to be sent to the NDR). So will unpaid child support. Both of these may also have a warrant issued in parallle. These are both the sort of warrants that tend to lie around (as opposed to one for some criminal arrest that tends to get dealt with).

I suspect even if you walk up and ask for a non-driving ID, they'll run your name through the same eligibility search. As to whether someone will be around to detain you, is up in the air.

View Post

https://www.brennancenter.org/analys...cles-databases

This page states that Idaho is a participating state.

http://www.aamva.org/uploadedFiles/M...er%20Dates.pdf
    Interesting list and since the Department of Homeland Security has become entangled with several states (maybe all?) DMV's, I'd say there is even a better chance the warrant would pop up in those states.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast