Default Hiring a Canadian Citizen As a 1099 Independent Contractor

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: NH

I am looking to contract a Canadian citizen residing in the US through 1099 (hourly wage). If that makes a difference, he has a US SSN. Technically, I don't think I even have to know he is not a US citizen? He provides his data (name, address, SSN), fills in the W-9. Do I need to do anything else? Is there a catch?

Default Re: Hiring Canadian Citizen As 1099-Er

Quote Quoting polk2244
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: NH

I am looking to contract a Canadian citizen residing in the US through 1099 (hourly wage). If that makes a difference, he has a US SSN. Technically, I don't think I even have to know he is not a US citizen? He provides his data (name, address, SSN), fills in the W-9. Do I need to do anything else? Is there a catch?
    If he has an SSN he most likely is legal to work. However, you need to ask to see an actual copy of his SS Card. If he is not legal to work, the card will say something about it.

Default Re: Hiring Canadian Citizen As 1099-Er

I'd be very careful that you're in a legal contract relationship. Whether you W-2 or 1099 someone isn't elective. It has to fit the actual job situation.

Anyhow, a social security card not marked with "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" or "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH xxx AUTHORIZATION" and some reasonalbe ID (a Canadian or US driver's liense will work) is well recommended either way. The number alone MEANS NOTHING!

Note that Canadians are not AUTOMATICALLY authorized to work in the US. Usually, they need a visa for a specific employer.

1. Sponsored Links