Default Does an Adult High School Student Need Parental Permission to Drop Out of School

My question involves education law in the State of: New York.

I'm dealing with things (personal), and it would just be easier to drop out of high school for a year. I am 18 years old.
    I told my mom I wanted to, and think that would be the best for my health, and the wellness and health of my boyfriend (best friends since 12. He just turned a year older than me), and she replied with "You can not. You need my permission, and I say no. Suck it up, and be a woman."
    I have had a few teachers even tell me on some days, that I probably shouldn't be in school that week.
    And my friend's parents agree that it would be the best thing for me for now.

Do i actually need her permission to drop out of high school, and move?

Default Re: Do I Need Parental Permission

If you have health problems that are affecting your school work you need to look into Special Education. If you meet certain criteria they can write an IEP to help you so you don't have to quit. If you quit, yo will never go back.

I suspect you wanting to drop out has far more to do with your boyfriend that you. How are you going to support yourself if you drop out of school ?

Default Re: Does an Adult High School Student Need Parental Permission to Drop Out of School

There is no law in New York mandating high school enrollment for non-minors, with minor being defined as "a person who has not attained the age of eighteen years." That said, psychological problems are best addressed by working with mental health professionals, not by dropping out of school. If you live at home, dropping out in defiance of your parents' wishes could also affect your continued ability to do so, and the willingness of your parents to provide you with continuing support.

Default Re: Does an Adult High School Student Need Parental Permission to Drop Out of School

Quote Quoting kristinl2
    View Post
    He just turned a year older than me
    Oh, I get it. He's already finished high school (or is a drop out already) and wants you to drop out and go with him.

What are his prospects for being able to support an ignorant girlfriend and a baby? Yes, pregnancy is inevitable when two stupid young people get together.

He won't marry you. He's more likely to take off and leave you on your own once that happens.

Think this through.

You're about to make a decision that will totally screw up your life for many years to come.

How on earth would it be better for your boyfriend's health for you to drop out of high school? This not only strains credibility, it strains the imagination. And so many people have found that when they become totally financially dependent on their boyfriend's family because they've cut ties with their own family, regardless of their being "an adult" etc. their support from that group totally vanishes. If your parents cut off support which it is totally legal for them to do when you're over 18, you will have to get a job, which means you'll be just as far from completely not working or doing anything (which is supposed to improve your boyfriend's health) as you would be if you were in high school instead.

Quote Quoting comment/ator
    View Post
    How on earth would it be better for your boyfriend's health for you to drop out of high school? This not only strains credibility, it strains the imagination. And so many people have found that when they become totally financially dependent on their boyfriend's family because they've cut ties with their own family, regardless of their being "an adult" etc. their support from that group totally vanishes. If your parents cut off support which it is totally legal for them to do when you're over 18, you will have to get a job, which means you'll be just as far from completely not working or doing anything (which is supposed to improve your boyfriend's health) as you would be if you were in high school instead.
    The OP believing this does not make it reality.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

If you drop out you'll never return to HS. You'll always say it, you may even try it. While you can enroll in public HS in NY until you are 21, with a hitch or two, you'll find it almost impossible to do it. W/O a HS diploma you'll find it impossible to get a head. Forget the improbable stories of success, there's a reason that a few folks are able to make that claim and they're usually selling something like Dr. Thomassen's Celebrated Stomach Bitters, containing mercury, chalk and flannel.

Your BF's health and wellbeing are your BF's problem right now. You can deal with it on your own time but if you don't complete this most basic educational step, a gateway to adult success, you'll struggle for the rest of your life and be more likely to have all sorts of health issues. I know, what you're thinking "how could not getting mi HS diploma affect my health?" Well I'll tell you! Due to your lack of income you'll be forced to live in poorer neighborhoods which have higher rates of pollution and poor indoor air quality (I just did a presentation of the importance of indoor air quality and it's pretty fascinating what people, including myself, don't know about it) which will lead to higher rates of cancer and other respiratory and cardiac illnesses. You'll eat poorer quality food due to a lack on income which can lead to obesity and diabetes and higher incidence of cancer (did you know that Twinkie's actually contain gypsum, the selfsame mineral that comprises drywall?). You'll be at a higher risk of substance abuse. You're more likely to end up pregnant and alone. Little or no healthcare to deal with the above issues. If you have children, which is more than likely, they will likely suffer from poverty and be more likely to be criminals.

So, there you have it. Not graduating from HS leads to misery and despair. Graduating from HS leads to riches...and other opportunities such as university, skilled trades, access to better food and healthcare. I don't even have to make this stuff up, there are 1000's of studies documenting this!

By the way, you're mom's "be a woman" comment is her telling you to be an adult. It's telling you to not tie your self worth to a man and be an independent, strong and fierce woman and that's what you should be. Any man want's that, not some simpering creature that is unable to stand on her own...at least strong fierce women are my preference. How else are they able to keep up?
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links