Default Severe Eye Injury While Staying on Somebody's Property

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Washington

My girlfriend takes care of an 86 year old woman who suffered a stroke leaving her needing 24 hour care. They both live in the woman's home which she own's. My girlfriend does not get paid any kind of wage's. Beside's being the caregiver, she also maintains(Mow,weed,garden and feed the chickens.) the property and pays the bills with the woman's income. My girlfriend was attempting to hang a clothesline with a roll of galvanized steel. Something went wrong and the line snapped back and hit her in the eye causing loss of vision in that eye. She has been told by an optometrist that she will need a cornea transplant in order to regain any vision out of that eye. Should she be dealing with the home owners insurance? Would you recommend she should get an attorney? or would the injury be considered 100% her fault therefore it's her responsibility to take care of medical bills.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Severe Eye Injury While Staying on Somebody's Property

My girlfriend takes care of an 86 year old woman who suffered a stroke leaving her needing 24 hour care. They both live in the woman's home which she own's. My girlfriend does not get paid any kind of wage's. Beside's being the caregiver, she also maintains(Mow,weed,garden and feed the chickens.) the property and pays the bills with the woman's income. My girlfriend was attempting to hang a clothesline with a roll of galvanized steel. Something went wrong and the line snapped back and hit her in the eye causing loss of vision in that eye. She has been told by an optometrist that she will need a cornea transplant in order to regain any vision out of that eye. Should she be dealing with the home owners insurance?
    Yes.

Understand that the homeowner has no liability in negligence but the policy might have some limited coverage for medical payments without regard to fault.

Would you recommend she should get an attorney?
    That's entirely up to her but it never hurts to get a free consultation.

or would the injury be considered 100% her fault therefore it's her responsibility to take care of medical bills.
    Well, the circumstances do suggest that.

But it would certainly be a good idea to explore the Medical Payments coverage on the homeowners policy. Might or might not be something there. No guarantees.

Default Re: Severe Eye Injury While Staying on Somebody's Property

She needs to see with an ophthalmologist (an actual DOCTOR) not an optometrist for her medical advice.

1. Sponsored Links