Default Striking a Pedestrian in a Crosswalk With Your Vehicle

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Colorado

Last week I was driving to a friends house and while waiting for traffic to get by (turning right on red). I was looking left for about 5-10 seconds and when the last car drove by I let go of the break and turn my head. Next thing I know is I see a woman (45-50 yo) and her son (18-20 yo) in front on me. I wasn't going any faster than the speed of a full stop and letting go of the break. The woman fell over and I pulled over quickly got out and made sure she wasnt hurt then called the police after asking if she needed them. She had a bump on her head that was it. No cuts or open wounds. The ambulance checked her out and the cop said she was fine. I spoke to two different cops and gave them the exact same story. I only gave the police my insurance card and ID. I ended up getting a ticket without and charges on it. It simply says careless driving (accident and personal injury) with a court date. I've never been to court and I'm a bit nervous. It was clear that it was my fault, but what exactly will happen in court. Anyone with a similar situation?

Default Re: Striking a Pedestrian in a Crosswalk With Your Vehicle

She was injured sufficiently that it was regarded by the officer as an accident that resulted in a personal injury. If you're lucky, she won't pursue a personal injury claim against you.

In Colorado, careless driving is a class 2 traffic misdemeanor can result in a sentence of a fine of $150-$300, and/or 10 to 90 days in the county jail, plus court assessments. With an injury, it becomes a class 1 traffic misdemeanor and the penalty potentially increases to a fine of $300-$1,000 and/or 10 days to one year in the county jail. Jail is unlikely, but it would be sensible for you to consult a lawyer.

Default Re: Striking a Pedestrian in a Crosswalk With Your Vehicle

Quote Quoting Weasly54
    View Post
    Anyone with a similar situation?
    Lots of people. But what happened with them won't make any difference.

Report this immediately to your insurance company.

A claim rep will be assigned who will contact the woman and keep this under control.

Considering the serious of the citation, I agree that a consult with an attorney would be a good move.

1. Sponsored Links