Default DMV Entered Incorrect Mileage on Vehicle and Will Not Fix the Error

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: CALIFORNIA
    I purchased a vehicle in 2015 in CA through a loan, so I did not have the title until I sold the car a few weeks ago. I received the title, signed it over, and mailed it to new owner. The title had the incorrect mileage (way more) for the date that I purchased the car. I did not notice this discrepancy, the new owner did. I called the DMV and was told they can see where the discrepancy was made, and it was a clerical error- they typed a 9 instead of a 4, however, they will not fix the issue unless the car is inspected. The new owner is losing their patience with me and I'm not sure where to go from here. I should add the new owner and vehicle are in Virginia where I was stationed (military) and I just moved to New Jersey. Can they really just refuse to fix this error that they clearly made and have evidence of making?

Default Re: DMV Entered Incorrect Mileage on Vehicle and Will Not Fix the Error

What problem has this "clerical error" caused? Is VA refusing to register the car in that state? Is someone out money? What has occurred because of the problem?
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I know this is two weeks old but can your car be inspected at the local NJ highway patrol for the CA DMV? Look at whatever form they need completed and see who can sign it off. I've done VIN inspections before for FL because a guy in the military was stationed in CA and didn't feel like driving to FL for a VIN inspection. FL paperwork stated "officer" as someone who could sign it off with no mention of what state the officer had to be employed in.

Quote Quoting sniper
    View Post
    I know this is two weeks old but can your car be inspected at the local NJ highway patrol for the CA DMV? Look at whatever form they need completed and see who can sign it off. I've done VIN inspections before for FL because a guy in the military was stationed in CA and didn't feel like driving to FL for a VIN inspection. FL paperwork stated "officer" as someone who could sign it off with no mention of what state the officer had to be employed in.
    Inspected for what? If it's smog, the answer is no. It has to be done by a CA certified inspection station.

Well, I was specific in that I have done a VIN inspection for FL. This OP has a mileage issue which requires physical inspection, which is difficult to do when the odometer in question is on the opposite coast. Where did smog come into this conversation?...

Quote Quoting briwright7
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: CALIFORNIA
    I purchased a vehicle in 2015 in CA through a loan, so I did not have the title until I sold the car a few weeks ago. I received the title, signed it over, and mailed it to new owner. The title had the incorrect mileage (way more) for the date that I purchased the car. I did not notice this discrepancy, the new owner did. I called the DMV and was told they can see where the discrepancy was made, and it was a clerical error- they typed a 9 instead of a 4, however, they will not fix the issue unless the car is inspected. The new owner is losing their patience with me and I'm not sure where to go from here. I should add the new owner and vehicle are in Virginia where I was stationed (military) and I just moved to New Jersey. Can they really just refuse to fix this error that they clearly made and have evidence of making?
    Obviously they CAN refuse because they DID refuse.

Now just how much of a discrepancy is there?

In other words what was the odometer reading on the car when you bought it in 2015?

What was the reading on the title in 2015 when you bought it?

What is the odometer reading on the car now?

Answer those questions and let's see what you are dealing with.

1. Sponsored Links