Default Injuries Caused by a Rear-End Collision While Driving a Borrowed Car

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Louisiana, Today I got in a wreck in my mothers car when I borrowed it, I was going about 50 and the car in front of me came to a complete stop and I hit on my breaks and slid about 60 feet into her and hit her going about 25mph from behind which obviously put me at fault. I do not have insurance but my mother does for her car. I got out and she asked me if I was alright and I proceeded to say yes I was. I then asked her if she was alright and she said she was fine. We waited about 10 minutes for the police to come and in the meantime my mother shows up and asks her again if she is alright. She tells my mother is she is completely fine. The police officer shows up and asks us what happen. We are writing our reports and he asks if either of us are hurt, then she then proceeds to say that no she is sore and hurt. She then puts on a neck brace and leaves in the ambulance after writing the report. I'm scared she sues and almost completely seemed like she was doing this for money especially because we asked if she was alright multiple times before the police arrived there. Could someone please give me advice on what might happen? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Default Re: Hit Someone from Behind in Mothers Car

Quote Quoting Tkelly77
    View Post
    Could someone please give me advice on what might happen?
    She'll make a claim against your insurance, who have seen the millions of times before. If she doesn't accept the settlement your (your mothers) insurance offers, she can sue you. But your mothers insurance is obligated to defend.

So there are professionals on your side, so relax and let things happen.

Many people involved in accidents are stunned to the extent they don't realize they are injured. The medics would apply a neck brace of there was any concern of neck injury. Nothing regarding her or her statements is out of line or unusual for an accident victim.

Let your insurance company do what they do.

Just curious; you aren't an excluded driver on your mother's policy are you?

No I'm almost sure that I'm not an excluded driver on my mothers plan. What makes you an excluded driver. So my insurance company is going to defend me? So does she have to hire a lawyer or does she just have to act hurt ? She just gets a check..?

Quote Quoting Tkelly77
    View Post
    So does she have to hire a lawyer or does she just have to act hurt ?
    Don't worry about what she does.

Quote Quoting Tkelly77
    View Post
    No I'm almost sure that I'm not an excluded driver on my mothers plan. What makes you an excluded driver. So my insurance company is going to defend me? So does she have to hire a lawyer or does she just have to act hurt ? She just gets a check..?
    You're an excluded driver if the policy holder (in this case, your mom) has specifically excluded you from coverage.

And as jk stated, just because she said at the time she wasn't hurt doesn't mean she's faking it. I told the driver who hit me that I was fine. I tried to talk the paramedics into not taking me to the hospital. It was at the hospital that they found I had a broken ankle and a mild concussion. But at the time of the accident there was so much adrenaline that I had NO idea the extent of my injuries. So get over your notion that she's "acting". She may very well be injured. That's not for you to say.

Quote Quoting Tkelly77
    View Post
    No I'm almost sure that I'm not an excluded driver on my mothers plan. What makes you an excluded driver.
    It's would be a document attached to your mother's policy that names you as excluded and is signed by her.

It would look something like this sample:

http://www.assuranceamerica.com/file...ion%20Form.pdf

Should be easy enough to ask your mother if she ever signed something like that.

Quote Quoting Tkelly77
    View Post
    So does she have to hire a lawyer or does she just have to act hurt ? She just gets a check..?
    It's not that simple. Fault might be clear but the claimant would still have to document her injuries and her costs before she would ever get a check.

And, yes, it's true that injuries from an auto accident often don't manifest themselves for a day or two. I can attest to that having been rear-ended more times in my life than I would care to remember. Sometimes the pain came right away, other times not for a day or two.

1. Sponsored Links