Default Will a Dismissed Domestic Violence Charge Affect Naturalization

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Tennessee

I was accused of domestic violence by my former tenant (!). Th accusation was fake. The judge dismissed the case. No conviction. No guilt. No plea. How this would affect naturalization?

You would be curious to know that I had been unaware about the warrant for me and learned about the warrant after 7 months, when was stopped by a police for speeding. How this, the dismissed charge, would affect naturalization? I am a LPR and in a process of obtaining citizenship. Thank you. I have a PhD and am a university professor; married, have son.

Is there any way to sue the police department for failing to inform me about the warrant? Is there any way to file a countersuit against the tenant? My attorney, who represented my case suggested that suing my own police is not a good idea and filing countersuit is useless, because I will gain nothing from the former tenant. Thank you.

Default Re: Desmissed Charge and Naturalization

Warrants are issued by the court and there's no requirement that you be notified of the warrant by anyone. The cops will get you on the warrant when they get you, as you discovered. You can't sue the police for arresting on a warrant and you can't sue them because they didn't arrest you sooner. As to seeking citizenship, it should no impact.

It should not be an issue, but it MUST be reported on your N-400 and you should put together whatever records you can of the case. It is likely to come up during the interview, but if you can show that it was dismissed as unfounded, they you should be OK.

Thank you, folks. I appreciate your time and responses. I didn't report this on N400 because the arrest happened well after I filed the form. I also was unaware about this warrant for me. But I informed the interviewing officer about it during the interview. The officer recorded what I said and I also submitted a form from the court and a letter from my lawyer. The officer told me the decision cannot be made yet and the case goes to a superviser...

It should be discussed at the interview.

1. Sponsored Links