Default How to Get Legal Guardianship of a U.S. Citizen Nephew Living Abroad

My Nephew (my older Brother's son) is currently 16 and never been to USA since he was born. His mother's cousin invited my nephew to come live with her family and continue highschool. The issue is, she doesn't want any other responsibility other than giving him a home and the mother wants me to acquire legal guardianship for my nephew instead (I am a USC).

Taking into consideration that i will not be living with him; The aunt that invited my nephew lives 1-2hours away. I live in NYC.
    The mother "assured" both of us that he will be financially sound while studying here in the US.

Question is:
    1. What exactly will my responsibility here?
    2. Does he really need a legal guardian?

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: How to Get Legal Guardianship of a U.S. Citizen Nephew Living Abroad

If you are not domiciled in the same city as the minor, you are not going to be positioned to easily sign documents, authorize medical treatments, or otherwise perform the duties of guardianship on his behalf. Also, the cousin will want to check the school's policies, as there is a good chance that the school district where the cousin lives will look at the guardianship form and say, "The minor is entitled to enroll in school in his guardian's school district, but if he wants to enroll here you will have to pay tuition" -- which will be a lot of money.

1. Sponsored Links