Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help With A Shoplifting Incident

Hi I unfortunatly made the decision to shoplift from a khols dep. store. Well, actually it was me and a friend. she took 210 dollars worth of items and i had about 350 or so. The guy that was charging us called the cops and that and since we both cooperated they didnt take us to jail. they took are pictures and information banned us for m the store and let us go. they told us that we could have been charged together since we were in the same fitting room but they didn't. He told us that we would be recieving a letter in the mail from the court and from khols. He didn't tell us what the letter form khols would be about i assume its gonna be some sort of fine. Do we pay that fine before court or do we wait till we go to court. and we know were guilty, and both of us plan on pleading guilty but do we still need a lawyer. what do we have to expect. this is my friends first charge all she has are minor traffic violations. and all i have is an MIP but thats not on my record. will they still somehow use that against me?? I just have been freaking because i haven't really been able to find out anything about what to expect with michigans laws. Were both 18 and most of the stuff that i have found has been about juvinials.

Default Re: Help With A Shoplifting Incident

What state are you in??

panther10758 Guest

The letter Kohl's mentioned is probably Civil Demand. That is a demand for moies for incident. This demand is outside and unrelated to any court cost/fines etc. Kohl's is taking "civil" action againist you this amount varies by state but can be bet ween $50.00 and $1000.00 with such a high theft amount count on your Civil Demand to be over $500.00. If you fail to pay this you can be sued for even more. Payment arrangements can be made. Once you get letter contact the Law Firm or whoever sends letter to make arrangemnts. If you make arrangments pay and pay on time!

were in Michigan. SO, with the Civil fine you can arrange to make payments. What do the court systems usually do for people if this is there first offence becaudse i really couldnt find anything about that. Thank you guys so much for your help.

panther10758 Guest

Ok this not an automatic but the norm is

. Summary probation
    . Fines
    . Possible ban from store
    . Community Service
    . If jail time is mentioned it susually suspended

These are the normal issues faced by one convicted of shoplifting. You should consult with a crimoinal defense Attorney and discuss diversion option as well

Is it neccessary to get a lawyer we were caught and signed papers at khols already saying that we had tried to take the items. the guy that was charging us said somthing about retail fraud and that they were gonna try charging us with somthing else to I asked if it was larcany but he didn't reply. I tried asking the cop what we were being charged with and all he said was youll find out in the mail. Which i thought was rediculouse. So, im really not sure what else there gonna charge us with but isnt larceny a fellony. I dont want this stuff on my record.

panther10758 Guest

You are facing criminal charges! Where is not a requirement to seek legal counsel it is very advisiable!

[QUOTE=wkim88;91299]I stole like 300 dollars worth of merchandise and i got arrested, after several weeks i went to court and i plead guilty because thats what everyone was doing and i didnt expect that it possible for me to go jail...

Will I be sentenced to a jail sentence like that to if i dont bring a lawyer. I dont have any money to pay for a lawyer. I live in michigan how harsh are michighans laws for shoplifting.

panther10758 Guest

Ok let me get this right you have already been to court and plead guilty!? Your next court appearence is for sentencing? What was code of charge example penal code for shoplifting in CA is 490.5

no i havent been to court that was somthing form someone elses like story thing about what happened to them. And since reading it i am now officially freaked out i was just gonna go ot court and plea guilty but ask if there was any way I could not have this on my record in hpes of Community service or somthing. Is there apossibility of this happenning or did i steal to much (350) to be able to gwet somthing like this.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast