Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ordered to Tear Down an Addition Remodeled Without a Permit

The HCD (CA dept. of Housing and Community Develpement) has ordered me to tear down a room attached to my mobile home. I do not have funds to do this, and see it as excessively punitive and overkill. The room was there when I bought the place, I just added drywall and electrical is all.

Do I have the right of appeal? How can I fight this action? The roomer ratted me out to the HCD, and the inspector came twice and wrote me up for violations, and not just for the room, but in the main house as well.They require expensive permits to do anything, like $ 1000! They are not responsive when I call them; typical CA agency.

Default Re: Hcd Ordered Me to Tear Down a Room

You can appeal but if the addition was not built under a permit, it's either going to result in razing the addition or maybe tearing out enough of any finished walls to allow an inspector the access he demands to be able to inspect the construct PLUS paying the costs of an necessary building permits AND any applied fines. You can discuss the possibility of paying the fines and permit fees and whatever tear out is required with the building department.

Quote Quoting recogno
    View Post
    The roomer ratted me out to the HCD,
    Expensive life lesson from the school of hard knocks:

NEVER rent out part of your house to anybody.

When I bought the MH about 10 years ago, the room was already there. Isn't that "grandfathered" in? I don't know if the previous owner pulled permits or not. He's been dead for years now.

I am writing an appeal as this moment, and asking for lenience and hardship consideration.

Quote Quoting recogno
    View Post
    When I bought the MH about 10 years ago, the room was already there. Isn't that "grandfathered" in? I don't know if the previous owner pulled permits or not. He's been dead for years now.

I am writing an appeal as this moment, and asking for lenience and hardship consideration.
    There is no grandfathering. If permits were required when it was built then either permits and fines are paid now and the building it demo'd enough such that the inspectors involved are confident the construct passes all applicable codes, if the building depsrtmebt allows and the addition would be legal addition or the addition is demolished.

suggssting it might be grandfathered in doesn't make sense. Using that argument, as long as I don't get caught building the construct until completed I woildnt have to pull permits. How does that make any sense?

you can go to the building department and have them review permits pulled for your address. If a permit was pulled they will have a record of it

leniency would be allowing the construct to remain (although with all necessary permits and inspections obtained)

personally I've never experienced a building department forgiving costs of penalties and permit costs. If there needs to be repair that isn't going to be allowed to stand.

You need to understand the reason for permits and inspections are to insure tbs construct is safe and subsequent owners are not buying substandard and possibly unsafe work.

Quote Quoting recogno
    View Post
    When I bought the MH about 10 years ago, the room was already there. Isn't that "grandfathered" in?
    Might have been the case if the codes changed after the addition was made. But you added drywall and electric which would have eliminated any grandfathering even if you had it prior to doing that.

Quote Quoting recogno
    View Post
    I don't know if the previous owner pulled permits or not. He's been dead for years now.
    The building department can tell you that.

Quote Quoting recogno
    View Post

Hope it works.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Not going to happen. With no permits pulled for the initial construction there is no way for the AHJ to verify whether the construction is sound and made from permitted materials. When you added electrical you missed another permit and associated costs. The electrical inspections ensure that the new installation is code compliant ( it likely isn't, homeowner installations rarely are) and installing drywall hides all.

Not only have you wasted a great deal of money you've jeopardized your insurance. If your insurance finds out that unpermitted work was performed they may cancel. I have heard of many cases where insurance companies have denied claims due to unpermitted, therefore questionable, work.

I don't see any building department letting this slide.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Wouldn't the HCD need a court order to force me to demolish the room?

Quote Quoting recogno
    View Post
    Wouldn't the HCD need a court order to force me to demolish the room?
    They can order it razed independently. You can comply, refuse, or refuse and contest.

If you comply, it’s done.

If you refuse and contest, you go to court.

If you simply refuse, the municipality would have to go to court to seek an order where the court will usually provide a timeline for you to comply. If you don’t comply with the court’s order, the municipality will seek the court take further action such as finding you in contempt.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    They can order it razed independently. You can comply, refuse, or refuse and contest.

If you comply, it’s done.

If you refuse and contest, you go to court.

If you simply refuse, the municipality would have to go to court to seek an order where the court will usually provide a timeline for you to comply. If you don’t comply with the court’s order, the municipality will seek the court take further action such as finding you in contempt.
    The inspectors are to come out Wednesday, and I haven't been able to do all the work yet. $$ is the problem. So I will ask them to give me another extension on this. Don't i have any recourse at all?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast