Default How to Register an Elderly Person's Car, Ony Driven by Others

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California
    I am a care taker for a 76 yr old woman who is going blind and does not have a drivers lic. She has no desire to drive but we are not sure how to insure her vehicle. Her vehicle is used to take her shopping and to doctors appoints. Will a insurance company give her a auto policy without have a drivers license and then put me on as a driver? I am trying to avoid putting my name on the title because she did that with her last care taker and the girl just assumed the car was hers. we had to call the police and it was a pain but we got her to sign off the title.
    I has going to add the vehicle to my auto policy but I am not the owner or co owner so my insurance company said they wouldn't do it. What are my choices here?

Default Re: How to Register an Elderly Person's Car, Ony Driven by Others

Quote Quoting sbowling01
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California
    I am a care taker for a 76 yr old woman who is going blind and does not have a drivers lic. She has no desire to drive but we are not sure how to insure her vehicle. Her vehicle is used to take her shopping and to doctors appoints. Will a insurance company give her a auto policy without have a drivers license and then put me on as a driver? I am trying to avoid putting my name on the title because she did that with her last care taker and the girl just assumed the car was hers. we had to call the police and it was a pain but we got her to sign off the title.
    I has going to add the vehicle to my auto policy but I am not the owner or co owner so my insurance company said they wouldn't do it. What are my choices here?
    I suggest you find yourself a nearby independent agent that represents many insurance companies and see what's available.

Understand that it's not likely something that the name brand insurance companies will do so it won't be cheap.

Not having the owner on the policy is not an issue provided the owner doesn't have a license. You may have to designate someone as the driver so they can set the rates. All people who regularly drive the car should be listed on the policy.

Quote Quoting Rock Knocker
    View Post
    Safeco is doing my mothers for her, and they're big enough to have a stadium.

But I am her son and PoA, so that could make a difference.
    Likely a big difference between your mother's situation and the one extant in this thread.

In this one the lady apparently has not had insurance in her name for some time nor has she even had car ownership. I doubt if she would meet Safeco's underwriting standards.

1. Sponsored Links