Default Will Insurance Cover Accident Damage to a Car Driven by a Suspended Driver

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Colorado

I have a tenant in my home who is on my insurance as a driver. The car he was driving yesterday has full coverage. The accident was clearly the other drivers fault and he was sited as such by the police. Come to find out my driver has a suspended license and had no idea since he had moved to a new address (mine).

In this state you can put a sticker on the back of our license instead of going down to get a new one to update your address.

His license was suspended because of an unpaid fee.

Me car is totaled. The other vehicle is a company pick up truck not totaled.

I spoke with a lawyer but he wants to talk about the drivers injuries. His complaining of stiffness and pain in his back and neck.

So the question is...is my car covered and if he goes in for medical treatment is that covered if he had a suspended license. How was my insurance company not notified when he got suspended....I'm lost.

I want to know if my car is covered before I make a claim and it goes against me and my insurance goes up.

Thanks

Default Re: Will Insurance Cover Accident Damage to a Car Driven by a Suspended Driver

I have a tenant in my home who is on my insurance as a driver.
    Are you freaking nuts? I've read thousands of stories about people making bonehead mistakes but that one has a place in the Guinness Book of World Records.

I want to know if my car is covered before I make a claim and it goes against me and my insurance goes up.
    There is nothing in an auto policy that actually requires a driver to be licensed. It's an underwriting thing. When you added him to your policy it's likely that the insurance company got his driver license number and ran his driving record. If the insurance company cleared him for coverage then and he didn't know about the suspension until now, there shouldn't be any issue.

However, if it turns out that he did know about the suspension and concealed that, it could give you a coverage problem because ALL insureds have to comply with the policy provisions, including the one about Concealment, misrepresentation and fraud.

You are free to wait and see what the at-fault driver's insurance company is going to do about your car before deciding to notify your own company.

1. Sponsored Links