Default What Can a Disabled Person Do if They Can't Get Mail from the Mailbox

My question involves a person located in the state of: Nebraska

I'm a disabled vet and I'm living back at home with my folks for a lack of any other options. Usually it's ok, but now my step-father who is often at home with me is refusing to go outside to get the mail. I can't go outside to get it on my own. The mailbox is like 4 feet from the door but he just lays there on the couch and tells me to get it myself, which isn't possible for me and he should certainly know it. I paid for fast shipping so needless to say this is pretty frustrating.

It's not so much that I'm going to take legal action, but I thought it was an interesting predicament to be in from a legal standpoint. Also it might light a fire underneath him if I could say it's a federal crime!

Default Re: What Can a Disabled Person Do if They Can't Get Mail from the Mailbox

There's no law against being lazy. You'll need to wait for mom to come home.

Default Re: What Can a Disabled Person Do if They Can't Get Mail from the Mailbox

Quote Quoting Jackson9001
    View Post
    I'm a disabled vet and I'm living back at home with my folks for a lack of any other options. Usually it's ok, but now my step-father who is often at home with me is refusing to go outside to get the mail. I can't go outside to get it on my own.
    I was about to ask why but I checked your March thread and saw that you suffer from severe agoraphobia. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be unable to go outside but there are a couple of things that bother me about your situation.

View Post
    The mailbox is like 4 feet from the door but he just lays there on the couch and tells me to get it myself, which isn't possible for me and he should certainly know it.
    In your last thread you wrote:

Technically, yes I can go outside. It is extremely distressing for me to do so under any circumstance, and I need someone else to be there with me at all times. Also I couldn't do it long enough to get anything done anyways.
    Implying that, with a little bit of effort, you might make it the 4' to the mailbox and back in the minute or so that it takes.

And if that's not possible, there must certainly be a neighbor kid who could come over a certain time every day and bring in your mail for you. Shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks a week.

You also wrote:

I see a psychologist
    I doubt that your psychologist makes house calls so how do you get to the psychologist?

View Post
    It's not so much that I'm going to take legal action, but I thought it was an interesting predicament to be in from a legal standpoint.
    There is no "legal" standpoint. Nothing illegal is happening to you. Nor was it when you wrote about your perceived "emotional abuse" last March.

View Post
    Also it might light a fire underneath him if I could say it's a federal crime!
    I have no idea what the solution to your problem is but it's certainly not going to happen if you continue to live in that house.

Wow what a response! Well this is more of a curiosity than anything. And no, I can't cross the threshold of the doorway unless somebody is 'with' me. So I really can't get it. It's not a matter of "oh it's only 4 feet away." The way it really works is more black and white than that. If I could go outside by myself, then I wouldn't have a problem in the first place. Trust me, I've already struggled in life and this is me finally giving out. I just can't fight it all anymore, and my brain just won't let me.

I know I'm grasping at straws with my legal angles, but when you're me you feel very defenseless. And as it turns out, not even the law really has my back most of the time. The perceived emotional abuse has gotten better over time. I guess they were just making it as difficult as possible to live here so that I'd want to move out. Once I didn't, I guess they started to get the picture.

I've learned on this site that the law doesn't really protect you, and not only that, but it takes years to get disability. I still have no disability benefits. Those two things combined and no wonder there are vets out on the streets. With me, there is no streets. It's either somebody takes care of me or death. Most people probably don't get how it feels to have your back up against the wall all the time. So you guys may not understand why I ask what I do, but I am always looking for a 'stick' to fight with.

As I recall from your previous thread, what you are looking for is a set of laws that will force people to behave towards you the way you want them to. And sport, that just ain't gonna happen.

I have not re-read your previous thread, but it seems like you need to stop relying on your parents. Perhaps you can start to pay someone to do the things that you are unable to do because of your disability. It could be a teenager in your neighborhood, or some kind of personal assistant who can drive you around, or get you some groceries, etc.

1. Sponsored Links