Default Firearms Rights Revoked After 51/50

My question involves civil rights in the State of: California

I was 51/50 almost 3 months ago. First time ever, absolutely was not trying to commit suicide. When discharged I filled out the paperwork to schedule a hearing to restore my firearm rights. I was supposed to have a hearing scheduled within 30 days. After nearly 3 months, I called the courthouse and she said there was nothing on record for me. The hospital must not have sent it in. She suggested I call the hospital and see what happened. I would rather not bring their mistake to their attention, and then have the hassle of the hearing.

So my question is, is there a statewide or national database that they keep our names on or is it just filed with the courthouse? And if there is such a list, does the info have to go through the courthouse to be put on it, or can the hospital enter me? I am happy that the courts don't have any information on it, but at the same time I don't want to screw myself and have a gun when my name is on some list somewhere saying I am not authorized.

Thanks in advance for your help

Default Re: Firearms Rights Revoked After 51/50

It's a 5 year administrative ban that does not go through the courts, it's just imposed by operation of law. You are listed with the California DOJ. If you want the ban removed, you either wait the 5 years or you can petition the court one time during that 5 year period. You don't have to go through the hospital to do the petition. Consult a local attorney.

Quote Quoting LegalWriter
    View Post
    It's a 5 year administrative ban that does not go through the courts, it's just imposed by operation of law. You are listed with the California DOJ. If you want the ban removed, you either wait the 5 years or you can petition the court one time during that 5 year period. You don't have to go through the hospital to do the petition. Consult a local attorney.
    I called the court to schedule my hearing and they had no information on me. How do I check if the California DOJ has me on their list?

Quote Quoting Revliswolf
    View Post
    I called the court to schedule my hearing and they had no information on me. How do I check if the California DOJ has me on their list?
    For questions about access to your records, you may contact the Staff Services Analyst in the Customer Support Center at (916) 227-7527, via email at
    firearms.bureau@doj.ca.gov or by mail at P.O. Box 168048, Sacramento, CA 95816-8048

Thank you so much for the info!

1. Sponsored Links