Default Student is Being Punished Over Dress Code Issues, but Thinks He's in Compliance

My question involves education law in the State of: Texas

Good evening I am having some issues regarding the school dress code and hair policy. The policy states that the male students are not allowed to have long hair passed the shirt collar. The assistant principal states that as long as it doesn't pass the collar and is not in a ponytail, puff ball then he is ok and I will not have to cut his hair which are in dreads and is very neat, clean and without dye. So I interlock his hair in a braid and he states that it is ok then tells me it's a problem and it does not states in the handbook that a braid is not allowed, then he said that I could put his hair in a bun with non hanging and it would be ok and when he goes to athletics he states that he can take it down and he can put it back up and will not be bothering me or my son again which is an honor Roll student but he keeps harassing my son everyday by pulling him from class now my son is having depression issues. I have done everything he has asked of me to do without cutting his hair but that he has told me but he pulls him out of class daily about his hair which he deemed acceptable when I'm there then tells my son that it's a problem with his hair, and I'm out of options i have tried to talk to the principal and got nowhere. Please assist me in my next step because I feel like he is harassing and bullying my son

Default Re: Student is Being Punished Over Dress Code Issues, but Thinks He's in Compliance

If you cannot resolve the issue within the school, take it to the school district.

Default Re: Student is Being Punished Over Dress Code Issues, but Thinks He's in Compliance

Thanks!! This is getting really out of hand. Daily this principal is looking for my son just try to see if he can find something that he can harass him about dealing with his hair. It's not that we are not trying to comply with the rules because we asked him what other options do we have and he tells us and we do it. He tells my son and I that everything is perfect but when I leave from the school he goes and pull him out of class and tell him that it's not and put him in in-school suspension which is not right and that's why I say that my son is being harassed. Thanks again for your advice!!

Cut the kid's hair.

Hair grows back.

He can wear it any way he wants when he finishes school.

Is your son leaving it up all day (other than during athletics)? I have to wonder if the bun is staying up or getting put back up the way it would need to.

Honestly, unless it is for a religious reason, I would just cut it to be in compliance so as to not have to deal with whether it is or is not correct. You know it's a current issue. That's the easiest way to solve it. To get to the point of depression is a little bit overboard on something that has pretty easy solution.

Yes it is religious. Thanks it's settle and no we did not cut his hair

Quote Quoting Snm4
    View Post
    Yes it is religious.
    Should have said that in the first place.

Thanks for your suggestion but no we are not cutting his hair and did not have to everyone's hair will not grow back if they are ill. The focus need to be on education and making sure the test scores and graduation rates are up. Thanks though....

Ok..

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Should have said that in the first place.
    my bad.... geesh can't think of everything at once...

1. Sponsored Links