Default How to Increase Child Support Based on a Significant Increase in Pay

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: New York

My child's father and I had a support hearing in September of 2016 where he stated that he made approx. 90k per year (as shown on his tax returns for 2015). The court recommended approx. $1150/month to which we agreed that $1050 would be fair because of his income and that fact that he did have other children to support (she is his 3rd child). Note: His 1st child is an order of support through the court, his 2nd child is a verbal agreement.

Come to find out, her father made $150k in 2016 and is on track to make $200k this year. As a result of his significant increase in salary (the excess income is due to voluntary overtime which he can request whenever he wants) and the fact that the cost of living for my and my daughter will go up due to increased rent for a bigger apartment (I was forced to live in a 1 bedroom and will be moving into a 2 bedroom shortly), I'd like to go back for a modification.

When can I seek a modification?

Default Re: How to Increase Child Support Based on a Significant Increase in Pay

Quote Quoting muneca
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: New York

My child's father and I had a support hearing in September of 2016 where he stated that he made approx. 90k per year (as shown on his tax returns for 2015). The court recommended approx. $1150/month to which we agreed that $1050 would be fair because of his income and that fact that he did have other children to support (she is his 3rd child). Note: His 1st child is an order of support through the court, his 2nd child is a verbal agreement.

Come to find out, her father made $150k in 2016 and is on track to make $200k this year. As a result of his significant increase in salary (the excess income is due to voluntary overtime which he can request whenever he wants) and the fact that the cost of living for my and my daughter will go up due to increased rent for a bigger apartment (I was forced to live in a 1 bedroom and will be moving into a 2 bedroom shortly), I'd like to go back for a modification.

When can I seek a modification?
    You can do it now because the change in income is very substantial. However, you might want to consider waiting until after the first of the year so that his W2 will show proof that his income is actually more than double what he reported.

1. Sponsored Links