Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Post How to Answer "Have You Ever Been Arrested" Question for a Law Enforcement Job

My question involves criminal records for the state of the union.
    I am new to the site.
    I am seeking LEO employment. In the past, I was false arrested, finger printed, photographed, and booked with 2 simple misdemeanor charges 8 years ago. The judge dropped the charges under false arrest, which allowed me to sue, but I never did. The crook who arrested me and the lair who signed the charges never showed up to court; even thought, a phone call was placed on the day of my trial. I researched this matter and I have yet to request my FBI Identity History Summary. I do not think such summary will shed anything about my case because it was expunged. I do not want to disclosure my arrest on the LEO application. I feel a bit embarrassed. My arrest was out of my state of residency. Still, I feel ashamed, but I want the position. Can anyone tell me if the background investigation for LEO will find such records. In addition, the arrest, charges,and court record was expunged. I have read online that only public records are expunged and nonpublic records remain saved somewhere, inaccessible to the general public, but visible to LEO personnel for many different reasons. I have called the record department of the police agency that arrested me and the court house. They said there is no record found in the court, but the record keeper found my name on computer, just my name.

Default Re: How to Answer "Have You Ever Been Arrested" Question

You should assume that any law enforcement agency will find out about the arrest. You should provide honest answers to any questions that require you to disclose the arrest.

As you did not follow the instruction to identify the state where the expungement was granted or where you might be seeking employment, we can't provide any specific information about the laws of those jurisdictions.

If you lie, and you are caught - even years from now - you will be fired. Period. LYING, or committing the sin of omission, is the best way in the world to get blackballed and never get hired in law enforcement.

A law enforcement doing even a half-assed job will check records in towns, cities, counties, and states where you have ever lived or worked. They will almost certainly find out about the arrests. Be honest, and you have a chance. Lie, and you're done. Most misdemeanors are not statutory prohibitions to employment as a LEO, but lying will demonstrate that you lack one of the key character components necessary of a LEO.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

If you were fingerprinted, your arrest will be reflected on your state and FBI criminal history record, unless the expungement notice was properly served on those agencies. When applying for a law enforcement job, whether you can deny having been arrested, even with the protection of an expungement, will depend on your state's laws.

Nonetheless, when you apply for employment with a law enforcement agency, you will be asked to fill out a Personal History Statement. One of the questions in that Personal History Statement will ask you to list all contacts with law enforcement, irrespective of the nature of that contact. That question is not protected by an expungement order. In addition, an expungement order will not protect you from friends, relatives, coworkers and enemies who are free to tell your background investigator about your arrest.

If you intentionally lie, withhold, falsify or are dishonest during your background investigation, not only will you be disqualified, but you can count on every other law enforcement agency you apply with in the future disqualifying you. This is due to something called the Brady decision, which requires that defense attorneys be notified when witness officers have a history of untruthfulness. This information may be used on the stand to discredit the officer, rendering his testimony worthless. Because of this, we routinely fire officers who are found to have intentionally lied regarding material issues, as they have become "Brady Officers." Hiring an applicant who has been untruthful during their background is like hiring an instant Brady Officer and is self defeating.

In addition, most law enforcement agencies administer polygraph examinations to their applicants. During the poly they will ask whether you have lied, misrepresented or withheld anything about your personal history. If you lie about being arrested, you will spike on the poly and be disqualified.

The fact that you are considering lying about this rather than patiently explaining it to a background investigator and affording him the opportunity to independently investigate and decide the matter for himself, makes me question whether you possess the traits of integrity, honesty, thoroughness, accuracy and good judgment, all of which are minimum requirements for a law enforcement position. You may wish to rethink your career choice.

When an application of any kind asks you if you have ever been arrested for any reason, your best response is to tell the truth, and explain the circumstances clearly and dispassionately. They will find out. Your approach can make the difference between being hired, and being rejected. To be a public servant, whether it be in police, fire, or ems, requires a certain amount of integrity and honor. Do you have it?

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: How to Answer "Have You Ever Been Arrested" Question for a Law Enforcement Job

It's interesting and telling about your character that you would consider lying on an application for a position as a cop. IT's clear that you really don't think too much of them and yet you are interested in joining their ranks.

Yes, you should be honest as everyone tells you (I do agree with them) but consider the statements that you made about the cops that arrested you:

The crook who arrested me and the lair who signed the charges never showed up to court
    If you lie about being arrested, regardless of how you feel about it, you will be no better that these cops.

While I find your story to be thin, prisons are full of people who are innocent, only you really know the truth.

Go forth, apply, be honest and write with proper spelling, word usage and grammar (yes, you'll be judged on these things as well, if subconsciously) and sin no more.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

I was not convicted, so no misdemeanors are in record. The case was a fabrication and the lair and crook did not showed up to court. Period. However, I thank you for your advice. However, don't they get this info from the FBI?????

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting HonestLawfemale
    View Post
    I was not convicted, so no misdemeanors are in record. The case was a fabrication and the lair and crook did not showed up to court. Period. However, I thank you for your advice. However, don't they get this info from the FBI?????
    Whether or not you were convicted is not at issue even though the prosecutor saw enough validity to go ahead to trial. LEO jobs will ask you questions about your contacts with the police and they will expect you to answer honestly. If you were arrested you had contact. If you had contact you are expected to report it. If you fail to report it and it turns up in a background check (and police departments and other governmental bodies background checks are, shall we say, thorough) the you will be disqualified with prejudice.

As you seem to to lean towards misrepresenting the facts for personal gain and you aren't grasping what is being explained to you perhaps you aren't suited for a career in law enforcement. Perhaps you're you're that lying crooked cop just waiting for a place to happen...that's what law enforcement bodies are trying to weed out.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting HonestLawfemale
    View Post
    However, I thank you for your advice. However, don't they get this info from the FBI?????
    They get it from the state and the FBI. They are asking you to see how honest you are.

Default Criminal Records and Jobs

I was never convicted. I never plead to lesser charge. I never pee on my skirt. During my arrangement, I shouted " NOT GUILTY" twice when charges were read to me! "NOT GUILTY" I was never in jail, but I did ride to the police station and spent some time there. I think I was there for 20 minutes to 25 minutes. This bill only covers convicted criminals that applied for an expungement. Even SF86 security clearance application goes back 7 years only! So why should I mentioned it? My arrest happened 8 years ago and I am not applying for federal work, but state only! Screw the idiots who arrest it me. I am innocent INNOCENT INNOCENT!!!!!!!!!!

Simple misdemeanor charges go to the FBI? Only simple misdemeanor convictions go to the FBI! I was charged with non violent misdemeanors. It was a fit-up! I was framed!!!!! Only violent misdemeanor charges end up in the FBI. Anyway, thanks for your reply!

The crooks who arrested me and the liar who lied do not have any integrity. "Honesty is invisible" !

I was not convicted. My case was dismissed! Yeah, 3 Brady crooks arrested me and they are still working. I have each badge number and names. I hope one day the news about their rogue work come out to the light.

The expungment was properly served! However, I do not know if it will still show on FBI rap sheet for purposes of job application. I have read that questions about arrest, charges, finger printing ect must only be answered by those with pending charges or convictions and not necessarily by anyone who was charged and later on the charges were dismissed.

In addition, an expungement order will not protect you from friends, relatives, coworkers and enemies who are free to tell your background investigator about your arrest."

I am alone in this world.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast