Default What to Do if a Parent Gets a Low-Paying Job to Get Child Care Payments

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Pennsylvania. The mother of my child has not worked since the child was born 3 years ago. She has recently found out that she can get more money from me by saying she has a job and getting me to pay for daycare expenses. But this job of hers is buying makeup and then reselling it at parties which she does not do. So basically on paper she has a job but since she has no income from it I'm still paying the same I've always been but now have an additional $106 a week to pay for a day care that the kid doesn't use. This has to be illegal right? Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: Mother Getting Illegitimate Job in Order to Receive Child Care

Ask the court to impute an income equal to at least 40 horus @ min. wage.

Be prepared for Mom to get a min. wage job and find a relative to provide the daycare instead ... which you'll still be paying for, perhaps at a higher rate.

If she's not reselling makeup, then she doesn't have an income from selling makeup - right? In other words, she's simply buying makeup. <--- notice the period there?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I think what she is doing is lowering her potential earning ability even lower than what it was. She used to be a health care professional so when she wasn't working they set her earning potential to the average salary of a CNA. But now that she is in some kind of pyramid scheme I'm sure her earning capacity is even lower. I make $40,000 a year but I have to live in Philadelphia for my job and she lives in a low income town in central pa. With what she's taking now I come home with $800 every two weeks and my rent is $1600 a month. That's not including anything like electric sewer or even grocerys. So I'm averaging about $500 a month in debt. After she is done with this job change I will owe at least another $200 a month..at least. She just bought a house (with my money) and is now renting it out. Is this system so rigged that I don't even get enough money to live when I'm the only one working?? I feel like there has to be something I can do.

Why can you not arrange to pay childcare expenses directly to provider? Is it required that the provider be state licensed? If not, work to make that a requirement and, if your other statuses allow, that you be involved in the selection/approval of the provider.

Are you paying arrears? Have you reviewed the child support calculations to determine if the assessment is correct?

Quote Quoting OKisNotOK
    View Post
    Why can you not arrange to pay childcare expenses directly to provider? Is it required that the provider be state licensed? If not, work to make that a requirement and, if your other statuses allow, that you be involved in the selection/approval of the provider.
    This exactly. Make sure you are paying the provider directly.

With regards to the house she is renting out, that is income she has to claim. Your support order should include that in the calculation. It doesn't take too much sleuthing to find out what she is doing with the rental, and then show the documentation to the court.

1. Sponsored Links