Default Do You Have to Give Your Live-In Partner Notice to Move Out if You Break Up

My question involves personal property located in the State of: WI

I was engaged to a woman and she moved into my place in March. She never signed a lease with me and her name is not listed on the property at all other than her mailing address. Things took a turn for the worse and last week I had to end the relationship. I have given her 30 days to move out and I have been staying at a friends place during that 30 days. My now ex gf claims that I had to give her 30 days notice and could not just throw her out (which I hadn't planned on doing anyway).

I'm just curious as to whether what she said was true. Since we didn't sign any sort of agreement about her living at my place, and we aren't married, do I have a legal obligation to do anything for her? What happens if she isn't out in 30 days (I think she will be as she already put a deposit on an apartment)? Also, if she is in another place but has not moved all of her stuff out of my place, how long do I need to keep her stuff before donating to charity or something like that?

Default Re: Legal Obligation After Break-Up

Quote Quoting luvmydaughter
    View Post

I was engaged to a woman and she moved into my place in March. She never signed a lease with me and her name is not listed on the property at all other than her mailing address. Things took a turn for the worse and last week I had to end the relationship. I have given her 30 days to move out and I have been staying at a friends place during that 30 days. My now ex gf claims that I had to give her 30 days notice and could not just throw her out (which I hadn't planned on doing anyway).

I'm just curious as to whether what she said was true. Since we didn't sign any sort of agreement about her living at my place, and we aren't married, do I have a legal obligation to do anything for her? What happens if she isn't out in 30 days (I think she will be as she already put a deposit on an apartment)? Also, if she is in another place but has not moved all of her stuff out of my place, how long do I need to keep her stuff before donating to charity or something like that?
    Yes, you needed to give her 30 days notice. Since you did, why is that even a question?

As far as the bolded is concerned, there is no "one size fits all " answer to that question. Cross that bridge if it actually happens.

View Post

I'm just curious as to whether what she said was true. Since we didn't sign any sort of agreement about her living at my place, and we aren't married, do I have a legal obligation to do anything for her?
    Wisconsin landlord tenant statute:

704.01(5) (5) “Tenant at will" means any tenant holding with the permission of the tenant's landlord without a valid lease and under circumstances not involving periodic payment of rent
    She's a tenant. At least 28 days notice is required by statute so giving her 30 days notice was proper.

View Post
    What happens if she isn't out in 30 days
    You evict through the courts.

View Post
    What if she is in another place but has not moved all of her stuff out of my place, how long do I need to keep her stuff before donating to charity or something like that?
    Section 704.05(5) addresses tenant's abandoned property. Come back if that happens.

Meantime, learn an important lesson: NEVER live with girlfriends.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Wisconsin landlord tenant statute:

Meantime, learn an important lesson: NEVER live with girlfriends.
    I got it! Learned my lesson. Worst two weeks of my life in a long, long time! Even worse than getting divorced. Thank you for the advice!

1. Sponsored Links