Default What to Do if You Have Failure to Appear Warrants

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

Need advice on having (2) failures to appear. Received (2) tickets for a busted tag within a few days of each other, in different counties in GA. Fulton and Morgan County. Missed both court dates while out of town for work. Now, I have another court date coming up for a no insurance charge my public defender had me bind over to state court, and I'm trying to take care of these other situations before that.

But if I go to one FTA and can't pay all of the fines right then, will they arrest me? Will they arrest me since I have another FTA somewhere else? If I wait until my next check to go in for those FTAs, will I get arrested for them when I go in for my upcoming court date?
    Have gotten myself into such a mess over these little things and don't know what to do.

Please help. =(

Default Re: What to Do if You Have Failure to Appear Warrants

If the judge issued a bench warrant when you failed to appear, you could well be arrested. I would recommend you write a letter to the judge explaining your work predicament and asking for a new court date for each FTA, and then show up. Judges are not beasts who love locking people up, they just don't want you dodging taking responsibility and showing up. If you are proactive and have a legitimate story to tell as to why you FTA'ed, you should be okay. Judges quite often recall bench warrants once they are convinced you will come to court. But there are no guarantees. Be prepared to post a bond if you have a cranky judge. Failure to pay right away is only a little "sin", failing to show up is a big "sin".

If you want faster resolution you could try calling the judge's judicial assistant and discuss it with him/her, following up with a letter.

Jim, I don't know if you know how this all works in GA, but I'll just say that in the areas that I work in (NY, CT) if anyone writes any letters to a judge they go into the garbage. Any contact with the court should go through "channels". If it was me I'd call the court first and speak to a clerk to find out the best way to deal with trying to resolve this.

Most judges in my part of the world treat pro se letters as motions and will set a hearing. Yes, the OP's mileage may vary, but contacting the JA is a legitimate thing to do. It is one of the "channels" for communicating with the judge.

1. Sponsored Links