Default Can You Start a Business That Gives Advice to Employees About Work Situations

Hello,

I've been considering opening an business which provides support to employees who have employment issues. Employees are often not prepared to have effective conversations with HR and leaders in organizations, and I'd like to provide them with support on how to do this, and essentially refer them to attorney's if they are unable to resolve and may have a legal case. While HR attempts to provide this type of advice and remain neutral, I feel HR in organizations on some level have to hold back given the risks in that environment.

I realize some employees could afford this service, and others could not. There are so many consultants in place to support organizations, but not necessarily employees. I feel employees should have alternatives, at least to begin with outside of EEOC, attorney's and labor unions. What are your thoughts on this business idea? Do you think this business could be successful both in it's purpose and financially? Do you think attorney would be willing to pay a fee for a referral on a case which may have merit?

I envision the consultant providing feedback, also reviewing drafts of complaints prior to the employee submitting them to HR, etc.

Thanks for your feedback.

Default Re: Business Idea Feedback - Hr Consulting for Employees

What are your thoughts on this business idea?
    I think you could easily be bordering on the practice of law without a licence. And even if you aren't you would only being hearing half of any story because employers aren't going to provide you any information and if you take just a few minutes and read through this forum you will see that the biggest problem is getting those asking for help to provide correct information.
    Do you think this business could be successful both in it's purpose and financially?
    Not especially. In general you would be working with people that simply don't have the funds to pay for such a service. Not to mention it costs nothing to contact state or federal DOLs or the EEOC.
    Do you think attorney would be willing to pay a fee for a referral on a case which may have merit?
    No

Your issues are:

(1) getting insurance to cover you under EPLI or E&O -- what skills, education, background do you have to do so? -- to cover your liability of giving wrong advice _ I too think you would need a law degree
    (2) As seen out here, issues are varied based on federal, state,local and public/private laws -- Unless you drastically limit scope, you will be overwhelmed
    (3) then further on employer policies -- no employer is required to interact with you unless they are unionized and then the employee has a union representative; you won't have the legal capability to subpoena information
    (4) The DOL/EEOC/UI and state versions already have ways to do what you are wanting to do

I very much doubt you will be able to help much without someone in the company (other than the employee) providing you or the employee documents that you may or may not be able to interpret because you don't know the employer's precedents, other actions.

Agree that people won't generally pay for something like this - they would rather pay a lawyer or get free advice on sites like this...

The one think you might look into is getting trained to be a mediator -- but I don't know if you would need a law degree..... or get a job being an investigator for the DOL/EEOC/state versions

Quote Quoting hr for me
    View Post
    The one think you might look into is getting trained to be a mediator -- but I don't know if you would need a law degree
    A mediator is not required to have a law degree or license to practice law in any state so far as I am aware. Clients might prefer that though.

Mediators can get training without a law degree, however, the training is quite expensive, and once it is completed, the credentialling does not automatically guarantee you a good job. It works best if you are affiliated with some lawyers in the area, otherwise getting clients is every bit as interesting as it would be just going off from the hip without mediation training. In the past I have seen several "paralegal training courses" that were offered to teach people how to give basic advice on many legal issues, but they were deemed to be "practicing law without a license" and soon done away with at least in my area.

Why do you feel especially qualified to offer people advice that would be worth paying for in the employment field? As the old saw goes, people who are applying for unemployment don't have the money to pay an attorney to take their case because, like, they're unemployed! it's common knowledge that an attorney will work with you on contingency if you have a decent case against an employer. And in many many many years of working with employment issues I have seen, in many states, very few genuine good "cases" where employment issues became something that paid well for the former employee. Aggressive employment law attorneys who are out looking for cases are not going to pay you a finder's fee for employment law cases and make you a viable business out of this, because those kinds of cases are about as rare as new cases of measles. They happen, but not real often.

I sent you a PM.

1. Sponsored Links