Default Can a Public High School Forbid Adult Students from Leaving Campus

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Indiana.

Recently I have tried to have the school grant me permission to leave the property at my own freewill when needbe- for appointments and other responsibilities outside of school. As an 18 year old who has recently gotten a car loan completely on his own, makes sure he gets to school on time and work, I really wish to have the right to attend needed appointments. I am told I do not, I must have a parent call for me to grant access for me to leave. However, I fail to see why. As an adult, I should be respected enough to manage my own time accordingly, without my mom being held responsible. She sleeps in, and she's made it clear she does not want to school to contact her with matters concerning me.

The school continues to tell me I must get emancipated, however, when I've looked into it, there is no guides to emancipate as an adult, only minors. Please, I would like something to show the school that I am legally my ownself. I sleep at home, me and my parents have an understanding, they take care of me, but they don't parent me anymore. The school should legally respect that.

Default Re: Can a Public High School Forbid Adult Students from Leaving Campus

Why are you in school during the summer?

Sorry, but schools are allowed to impose rules on students to maintain order and, adult or not, you're a student. You can explore the possibility of transferring to a different school that has more flexible rules.

School isn't necessarily a right, it's more of a privilege, especially when you're past the age of compulsory attendance. Since your parents are willing to let you make decisions, you have a choice to make. You can either choose the school you are attending with both the pros and cons, or you can choose an alternative form of education like a public online school or homeschooling. Homeschooling diplomas are legitimate for college--colleges care more about ACT and SAT scores. You can look at HSLDA's website and join homeschool support groups for your state on facebook to learn more. Discoveryk12.com provides a free online curriculum you can use. Or you can accept the school's rules and keep going there. If you do choose to homeschool you will need to withdraw because they probably have you automatically enrolled already for the upcoming school year. Good luck.

Quote Quoting alancunningham7500
    View Post

The school should legally respect that.
    Reality check.

The school has rules that apply to all students regardless of age.

Once you are done with school and get a job, your employer will have rules that you obey whether you like them or not, regardless of your age. You obey or get fired.

Governments have rules that you obey whether you like them or not, or you go to jail.

Life has rules from cradle to grave.

Quote Quoting alancunningham7500
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights in the State of: Indiana.

Recently I have tried to have the school grant me permission to leave the property at my own freewill when needbe- for appointments and other responsibilities outside of school. As an 18 year old who has recently gotten a car loan completely on his own, makes sure he gets to school on time and work, I really wish to have the right to attend needed appointments. I am told I do not, I must have a parent call for me to grant access for me to leave. However, I fail to see why. As an adult, I should be respected enough to manage my own time accordingly, without my mom being held responsible. She sleeps in, and she's made it clear she does not want to school to contact her with matters concerning me.

The school continues to tell me I must get emancipated, however, when I've looked into it, there is no guides to emancipate as an adult, only minors. Please, I would like something to show the school that I am legally my ownself. I sleep at home, me and my parents have an understanding, they take care of me, but they don't parent me anymore. The school should legally respect that.
    You are correct that you cannot emancipated by a court of law anymore because you are over 18, therefore you are automatically emancipated. However, you are not the first person I have run into who had a problem with a high school because they are just not set up to deal with legally adult students.

Perhaps if you got your parents to issue a blanket letter, stating that you will be in charge of your own appointments etc., from now on and that they should consider that letter as your blanket permission to do so. Otherwise, you need to consult with an attorney. If you are attending a public school they must allow you to attend until graduation.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Why are you in school during the summer?

Sorry, but schools are allowed to impose rules on students to maintain order and, adult or not, you're a student. You can explore the possibility of transferring to a different school that has more flexible rules.
    Many school districts in Indiana have already started back to school. Some started as early as the beginning of August and by today, most of them have started back.

Our HS allows for a parent to give a blanket authorization -- have you checked into that? Otherwise you need to follow their guidelines. They are responsible for you during school hours once you show up each day.

That said, I can understand why the school doesn't want to deal with you just up and deciding at any time of the day you need/want to leave and that something else is more important. Do your best to schedule appointments outside of school hours. Have your parent write a note the night before (or heck you write it and just have her sign it) so as to not disturb her unless you are truly sick. No "appointment" should pop up after you already got to school but before the end of the day. If it is, you need to plan better. And even if you were allowed to leave on your own, I still suspect there is an attendance policy.

Can a Public High School Forbid Adult Students from Leaving Campus

Yes. A public high school can forbid adult students from leaving campus.

I hope that this is now clear to you.

Next question, please.

Several of our children turned 18 several months before high school graduation. One of them moved out and got an apartment shortly after turning 18. Our written permission was still required for them to leave campus during school hours for doctors appointments or other have to appointments. Our written permission was also required for field trips and other things.

Even though you are 18 the school still has certain responsibilities where you are concerned as long as you are enrolled and attend school there

You are an adult at age 18. What that means is that you are free from the control of your parents and you have all the rights of an adult (right to vote, right to enter into contracts, etc). You may also drop out of school if you wish — the state compulsory education laws do not apply to you. But if you want to stay in school and get your high school diploma you need to abide by the school’s rules. One can debate until the cows come home whether the school ought to have a different rule for leaving campus for its adult students that does not require parental approval, but the law certainly allows the school to have a rule requiring you to get parental consent.

Once you get a job you've got no guarantee of being able to leave any time you feel like it either, no matter what age you are.

1. Sponsored Links