Default Disclosing a Criminal History When Applying to Dental School

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I have a question on an application to Dental school that I am not sure how to answer. The dental school is in Florida.

Have you ever been:
    * * • * convicted of a criminal offense in any city, state or country, other than minor traffic offense;
    * * • * entered into a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) to a criminal offense;
    * * • * had adjudication of guilt withheld for a criminal offense;
    * * • * participated in a first-offender or pre-trial diversion program, or its equivalent; or
    * * • * committed any criminal offense where the records have been sealed or expunged?

(Driving under the influence is not a minor traffic offense for the purposes of this question. Additionally, a criminal offense includes those offenses committed as a juvenile.)

In 2012 I was arrested for possession of marijuana. The charges were dropped down to disorderly conduct, which I was convicted of, and the records were sealed a year later. According to NY law I can legally deny that I was ever convicted since the records are sealed. Can I do so here? If possible I would rather not disclose anything to them.

Default Re: Disclosing a Criminal History When Applying to Dental School

The question clearly asks if you committed and offense where the records were sealed, the truthful answer is yes. While the school may not find out if you lie, when you go to seek a license to practice, the state will find out and that can bite you in the rear. Be honest up front.

agree the best thing is to be honest up front because you never know when it might be found later and lying on an application in and of itself can get you in serious trouble (outside the sealed offense itself)

You also don't want to put in all the work and money going to dental school only to find out you won't be allowed to practice. Good luck, and I hope it all works out for you!
    ~Christina

Unless a source is cited, anything posted here by me is only my opinion, and is not meant as legal advice.

You also need to consider if you will be able to get a DEA number and Controlled Dangerous Substance license if you are accepted and finish your education and training. Dentists often need to prescribe medications and controlled drugs. Not being able to do thus would severely limit your employment opportunities. Chances are the DEA,and state licensing board can unseal juvenile records and get other info others could not. But, I am not 100% positive

1. Sponsored Links