Default Liability for a Subcontractor's Breach of Contract

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Ohio

We are a small entertainment services company. Recently, a DJ of ours pulled a no show at a wedding and I wound up having to DJ the wedding.I received a call from the wedding planner 5 minutes before the ceremony began so I missed that (we were supposed to do the music for that), barely made it in time for the reception, and didn't have all of their requested songs.

I did the very best I could and they were grateful I was able to make it, but I waived the balance due and returned the deposit as we are in breach of contract.

My question is should I be concerned about a further lawsuit or legal trouble?

Default Re: Liability for a Subcontractor's Breach of Contract

Quote Quoting steeldawg
    View Post

My question is should I be concerned about a further lawsuit or legal trouble?
    Probably not.

If I'm reading your post correctly you ended up doing the gig for free to make up for the SNAFU.

A few missing songs didn't cost your client any money so the client really has no damages to sue for.

I hope you understand, however, that you have good reason to sue your DJ for indemnification of the money you lost on the deal due to his breach of contract.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Liability for a Subcontractor's Breach of Contract

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Probably not.

If I'm reading your post correctly you ended up doing the gig for free to make up for the SNAFU.

A few missing songs didn't cost your client any money so the client really has no damages to sue for.

I hope you understand, however, that you have good reason to sue your DJ for indemnification of the money you lost on the deal due to his breach of contract.
    I suspect that suing an employee (presuming that the DJ was an employee) won't work. I've seen employees cost businesses large sums of money without the liability for those damages.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links