Default Car Was Damaged While Parked in a Structure With a Broken Garage Door

My question involves personal property located in the State of: PA

I rent an apartment and pay additional money per month to park my car inside a parking garage on the property.

The parking garage where I live has a garage door that has been broken for 3 months (Garage Door is stuck open cannot be shut), and I have complained about it at least 6 times for property management to fix it. I even had some items stolen, $5 worth, not a big deal. I expressed my concerns about this and my fear that my car would be messed with.

This parking garage requires extra money per month to park in it, and special keys and a garage door opener to go inside it.

This leads to the night before it was vandalized, I come home from work, and pull into the garage and a group of teenagers were drinking beer and kicking a soccer ball as hard as they can against a wall and hitting cars parked with it. I stayed inside my car, and called the cops. The cops showed up, and the kids ran except one of them, and the cop managed to get the kids name and address, and let him off with a warning to never come back. I actually have them on video on my phone playing soccer and trespassing inside the garage.

I go to bed, and wake up to my car with its windows smashed in and a fire extinguisher shot into it every where, and the hood, and front end was all scratched. I called the cops and they show up again. I tell them the kids had to have done this for revenge of calling the cops of them the night before. The cops said there is no video or witness, so not much can be done. Shouldn't the cops investigate the kid from last night at least? Ask questions, ask his parents where he was at that time, etc?

My car got towed to the dealership and has full coverage, so my insurance is gonna try to fix it, or total it, but I have not got an estimate yet.

Do I have a case to make my Landlord, property management pay for my car? The whole idea of a parking garage is to have a secure location to park your car. The vandals were able to mess with my car because the door is broken (Stuck open) and cannot be shut.

I'm not sure how to go about this.

Thank you

Default Re: Car Was Vandalized While in a Parking Garage with Broken Garage Door

I have complained about it at least 6 times for property management to fix it.

This parking garage requires extra money per month to park in it, and special keys and a garage door opener to go inside it.
    It's iffy but you can certainly report it to management and make a claim for your damages.

Understand that, whether you're right or wrong and regardless of a stranger's opinion, management is likely to say no and you'll be faced with having to sue.

But if you have your insurance pay for your repairs, then it's up to your insurance company to subrogate if the claims people think there is a case to be made.

Default Re: Car Was Vandalized While in a Parking Garage with Broken Garage Door

Yes, but their lack of maintenance or assuring locks or doors are in proper working condition lead to my car becoming vulnerable. Isn't the burden on the owners to maintain the property to a specific safe and working condition, especially while charging people money for it?

It does not automatically follow that a problem with a door or gate to a common area, or the failure to immediately repair such a problem, will make a landlord liable for a crime that occurs within that area.

1. Sponsored Links