Default Options for Disposing of an Unregistered Vehicle after a Ticket, VC 4001

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California

Hi,
    Vehicle not worth (to me) what it would cost to smog and register. As per the Courtesy-Notice I will be paying the $285 ("bail forfeiture"), rather than the $25 ("with proof of correction"), true? I'd like to offer it for a few hundred dollars on Craigslist in the next day or so. Can I legally do this prior to paying the $285? Aug 22nd is the due date on the notice. Does Calif. allow the the sale of a vehicle that has not been smogged? Should I just sell it to Pick n Pull (wrecking yard ) for $87 and get a receipt for it? Btw, the pink slip is in my name.

I've also got another almost identical vehicle that was given to me 5 years ago. The title had been lost before I took possession. Though the DMV would not issue a title in my name they did put me down in their books as the legal owner. To issue an actual Title they said that I had to get ahold of the owner that they had listed in their records and obtain a bill of sale. They refused to tell me who this person was. They were not willing to make any inquiries for me. Folks that I got the car from said they would try again to locate this information. No luck.
    My question is, can I sell the car as-is, without a title? How would I word a bill of sale?

Thank you much

Default Re: Ticketed for Vc-4001a1-L

You can't sell a car without smog. If you do, the buyer can come after you for the price to bring the car up to smog. The only way really is to go to the DMV and declare the car non-operative (which makes it illegal to drive) and sell it as such.

As for the second question, google "California bonded title."

1. Sponsored Links