Default How Can a Primary Owner Recover a Car From a Co-Owner

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Utah

I am the primary owner listed on the title of a vehicle, I am also the only one on the registration I have had the vehicle in my possession for the last year and a half and carried Insurance on it. There was a title loan taken out on the vehicle by the secondary person on the title. For the last year and a half I have been making the payments on this title loan even though I am not on the loan itself. I missed a couple payments and the other title owner came and took the car from my possession. There were police involved that I called and she called because she was screaming and causing a scene. The police officer that was called to the scene told me that I did not have to give her the car as I am the primary owner and had the documentation to prove so. Due to me not being on the loan I thought it was best to give her the vehicle. I later called both the Credit Union where the loan is through as well as the DMV and they both told me that I did not need to give the other party my car. And the Credit Union stated that even though I am not on the loan there is proof that I make the payments and own this vehicle and that I have nothing to do with the loan. I am now having issues getting the car back as the other party has refused to give it back to me. I would like to know what my rights are. Do I have the right to go to her residence with a police officer and take possession of my car.

Default Re: Ownership Rights

Everybody is right. You didn't have to give her the car.

However, that has nothing to do with being "primary" on the title as there is no such thing.

You are both joint owners on the title and have equal right to possess the vehicle. Doesn't matter what your paperwork says, only matters what the title says. Also doesn't matter who is on what loan. If the loan doesn't get paid the lender gets the car.

So, yes, you have the right to go get the car and she has the right to go get it from you, back and forth, tit for tat.

I'm guessing this is one of those foolish boyfriend-girlfriend-buy-the-car-together-when-we-were-in-love situations and now the romance is over.

Since you are not obligated to the lender I suggest you get out from under this by signing over the title to her and being done with it. Chalk it up to a life lesson from the school of hard knocks. But if you can't do that for some reason you get to continue enjoying the consequences of your folly.

Default Re: Ownership Rights

Thank you for your input! It all makes complete sense!

1. Sponsored Links