Default How to Claim an Investment Loss from a Failed LLC on Your Taxes

My question is about loss of investment in an LLC. Several years ago, I invested 40K in an LLC that has since closed and sold its assets. After debts were paid, there was still a balance, so the investors lost 100% of their investments. How do I claim this on my taxes? Which form(s) and so on? Thank you.

Default Re: Loss in LLC

Quote Quoting camel1971
    View Post
    My question is about loss of investment in an LLC. Several years ago, I invested 40K in an LLC that has since closed and sold its assets. After debts were paid, there was still a balance, so the investors lost 100% of their investments. How do I claim this on my taxes? Which form(s) and so on? Thank you.
    If you have exhausted all efforts to collect your investment then you would treat the investment as being sold for zero dollars, therefore generating a capital loss. For this particular tax year I am going to recommend that you use a tax professional rather than attempting to do it yourself. The calculations are a bit complicated.

Default Re: How to Claim an Investment Loss from a Failed LLC on Your Taxes

Quote Quoting camel1971
    View Post
    Here's some information from the IRS about Capital Losses:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/ten-importan...ins-and-losses

Note that if you have no capital gains with which to offset the the capital losses you are limited to a maximum capital loss deduction of $3000 and would have to carry forward the remaining loss at $3000 per year, assuming you have no capital gains in the ensuing years.

I, too, suggest you hire a tax pro to examine your situation.

1. Sponsored Links